Medical Questions > General Forum Topics > General Q and A Forum

Frequent muscle twitch in finger

Hi, I am asking here just in case it's nothing.

About three years ago I trapped my little finger in a car door. It didn't break but the dr I saw about it (who didn't even do anything) just said a tendon more than likely has been torn and it will heal. I can use the finger fine with no issues, but lately it has been starting to ache every now and then. A lump is still present on the joint (never gone away) and much more recently I have started getting involuntary muscle twitches in the finger. They're starting to happen now at least 4 times a day and will last for about 5 minutes each. They're not painful, but the increasing frequency is causing me some slight concern.

Is this something that will just go away on it's own? Or is it long-lasting damage that will gradually get worse?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied November 29th, 2017
The twitching is more likely due to contractions of the muscles as a result of neural irritation.

If required a nerve conduction study can be done before a explorative procedure can be done to fix the condition by releasing any pressure on the digit nerve.

Consult a doctor for a proper examination and opinion.

I hope this helps.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
Quick Reply
Must Read
Chronic pain affects more than 70 million Americans. But what is pain? And how can pain management help relieve different types of pain? Basic facts here....
How does the nervous system work to register pain? And what are the major causes of acute and chronic pain? Plus, who's at risk of pain here....
Acute and chronic pain manifest different symptoms. Learn the difference here and know when to seek medical help for pain....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our General Q and A , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.