Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Lungs and Respiratory Disorders Forum

Frequent Exposure to Respiratory Alkalosis ?

Hello,

I'm investigating into something called the Wim Hof Method, a combination of deep oxygenating breathing exercises and cold exposure, which seem to have measurable effects in our bodies' physiology, specifically autonomous systems that were not thought to be able to be consciously influenced (like the hormonal system and immune system for example). Sounds like hoo-haa, but his method is being researched under scientific scrutiny and has produced some interesting results. The man himself has set records, including running 80% of the way up Mount Everest in nothing but shorts, and the longest ice bath in the world.

After reading some literature and watching his videos, the technique involves deep and relatively quick (not too frantic though) breathing to over oxygenate the blood and basically induces respiratory alkalosis. This also gives the ability to hold one's breath for a surprisingly long time (a minute to three or more, until your body has the urge to breath again) to rebalance the blood chemistry until the alkalinity in the blood resets to normal levels. This supposedly has some effect on your cells, and allows not just Wim Hof, but anybody practicing his methods to perform feats of human body control, like withstanding cold and rigorous exercise and even harmful endotoxins.

His practice is still being researched, but I'm specifically here to ask about the possible negative side effects of quick exposures to respiratory alkalosis on a frequent basis. I know that severe hyperventilation can cause uncomfortable side effects, but if the breathing is done carefully as to reduce the side effects, and the breath is held until the urge to breath returns to "rebalance" the blood chemistry, is there any information on possible harm this can cause? My instinct is that hyperventilation might be bad in overuse and was wondering to what degree.

What about severe hyperventilation? Some people may try to enthusiastically over-do the over-oxygenation and do so excessively until vision, hearing, and even consciousness is affected. Are those people at risk from this?
Did you find this post helpful?
|
Tags: Exercise
Quick Reply
Must Read
Asthma affects more than 22 million Americans. But what happens during a respiratory asthma attack? Learn the basics about asthma now....
Some people are more likely than other to be diagnosed with asthma. Learn if you are at risk of asthma in this section on risk factors and causes of asthma....
How can you identify the signs and symptoms of asthma or respiratory problems? We list the common asthma symptoms here and discuss asthma problems....