Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Abdominal Pain Forum

Frequent Abdominal pain, what could it be?

so, I'll try make this as short a possible. I'm a 24 year old male. I've always had some sort of abdominal issues, ever since I was a kid. I've had what I like to call remissions, where they go away for a good period of time but they never really stay the same, they tend to differ in the way they feel everytime they occur after a "Remission". Lately, the past few weeks. I have had pains, bloating, throughout my abdomen but a lot of discomfort seems aimed towards my lower right stomach and I tend to get a mirror image of the pain on my left side as well on occasions.
Gas, Bloating, discomfort, pain.
I had my gallbladder removed January of 2012. Afterwards I still had some discomfort in my right flank and abdomen area. I had a CT scans, showed presence of Kidney stones that I still have issues with today, in both kidney's, but every doctor I talk to says this will cause the severe colic pain when the stones pass. But not the frequent discomfort I observe. I also had a Endoscopy and a Colonoscopy in March. Blood work always comes back great. Everything came back fine. Nothing. Doctor thinks it could be either a irritated Ureter from the kidney stones giving me the pain. Or possibly IBS. I also have a rash on each shin of my legs. I don't know if this is related, but I had one on my forearm once but with cream it went away. The ones on my legs remain. Any ideas of what might be the cause of all this disruption in my abdomen with no medical professional being able to find anything?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied February 7th, 2013
Hi, and thanks for your query on eHealth forum!

You could be suffering from IBS or spastic colon Celiac Disease/Ulcerative Colitis/ Crohn’s disease, H pylori infection, diabetes, food intolerance, malabsorption syndromes, constipation, liver problems, pancreatic dysfunction, or taking a diet rich in sulfites juices, molasses, yellow dye in ready made food stuffs, red wine, mashed potatoes made from dry powder, pickles, tinned shrimp, cookies, crackers, and readymade pie dough). Cancers of the gut (intestines, stomach, colon, rectum) too could be a cause.

If you have not had liver and kidney function tests done, and pancreatic enzymes done, then please ask your doctor regarding this. Also, carbon urea breath test needs to be done to rule out H pylori infection. Log in what you eat and see if your symptoms are related to a particular food type. It is difficult to comment beyond this at this stage. Do consult your doctor. Take care!

|

replied February 8th, 2013
I have had many tests to rule out what you have described. thank you. I have frequent blood tests which are always normal. I have also been checked for H. Pylori and Pancreatic enzymes and all that good stuff. Also, like I said, I had an endoscope and Colonoscopy last march for similar pains, everything was normal. Nothing found.

The pain seems focused in my lower right abdomen off to the side of my Belly button and I can also feel it in my back, lower back, sometimes it's stinging or a swollen like feeling. CT scans as of recently have showed no abnormalities except kidney stones, which I am under the impression have passed as of late cause that pain is gone. That was also on my left side. I am worried mainly about my appendix, however, everybody I know who has had appendicitis has been extremelly sick and the progression of the symptoms escalated very quickly and did NOT wax and wain in severity and no problems like mine do..
Anybody ever heard of an Appendix issue like this? Maybe IBS? Irritated ureter from Kidney stones.. IDK.
|
Must Read
Abdominal pain and bellyaches are common. Though most cases of abdominal pain aren't serious, sometimes you will need to see a doctor. We’ll review some of...
Abdominal pain can be uncomfortable but is very common. But when is pain in the abdomen serious? Learn how to describe your symptoms more accurately so that yo...
It's important to "know your pain" to help your doctor diagnose the reason behind abdominal pain. Read on for more tools and information about how to diagnose ...
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Abdominal Pain , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.