Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Broken Bones Forum

Fractured tibia and fibula pulled acl and pcl

So on may 12 I fell at work and fractured my tibia and fibula and pulled my acl and pcl and I believe the doctor said some of my meniscus came up as well. I had surgery on may 24th so the doctor and sew my acl in such a way that he can pull it back into place (his words not mine) and I started physical therapy on june 18th.
During my surgery the doctor saw that the fracture in my tibia was actually a clean through break but since it was still in its place he said we wont have to do another surgery. However my physical therapist has been instructed to limit me bending my knee to 90 degrees.

I guess I am on here because I am becoming a little discourage and frustrated with my recovery. Its been over a month since my surgery and though I have full extension of my knee I can barely bend my knee to 35 degrees on a good day (this is me guessing the degrees my Physical therapist checked on the first day and it was at 29). I ice my leg at least 2 times a day and I stopped taking pain medicine about 2 weeks after surgery. I also do the excercises at least once a day sometimes twice a day. I go to see my doctor tomorrow and I am afraid he is going to tell me that I am not progressing like I should be.

I have a job lined up in china and I am set to leave in October so as you can guess I am extremely eager to recover. Everyone including my doctor keeps telling me that I am young (22 yrs) so the recovery should go well, but I just feel like I'm not were I should be and i'm starting to get a little depressed about it. Does anyone have any advice, words of wisdom, or anything really to help
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied July 4th, 2018
Hello and welcome,

I appreciate your concern,

You have had quite an extensive injury to your leg,breaking both the leg bones and tearing up all the important ligaments holding your knee together for support and movement.
This injury will take at least 3 to 6 months to fully recover.Bones are easily and rapidly healed in children and young adults,provided they are well approximated (usually via surgery ).

I don't think your progress with the therapist is too slow,you started the therapy hardly 2 weeks ago so it will take some time,at leat 4 to 6 weeks for you to attain full range of motion again.I'm hopeful that you'd be recovered by the time you start your job in China.

I hope this is helpful,

Wishing you the best of health.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
Tags: Recovery
Quick Reply
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Broken Bones , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.