Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Orthopedics Forum

fractured fibula 17 weeks ago

Hi there, this is a bit of a long one but please bear with me I'm at my wits end.

I'm a 23yo female good health. Occasional glass of wine and the occasional cigarette (I didn't know how bad it was for broken bones).

17/18 weeks ago I broke my fibula on holiday in Croatia. I was put in a plaster cast and flew home. The cast was positioned very badly with my foot pointed inwards. It was not a bad break at all, lateral malleolus (sp?) I think with no displacement. It genuinely didn't even hurt when I did it. Just rolled my ankle on a step.

After returning to the UK, despite my cast being damaging for my foot, I couldnt get an NHS appointment for 2 weeks so decided to go private (this I believe is where my issues started). My doctor got me in a weight bearing cast in around a week. I was due to be a bridesmaid so he agreed to remove it after 5 weeks (perceiving no issue). The doctor was off sick on the day my cast came off so no xray was done. After 2 weeks with a bit of swelling and a slight limp I went back to see a different doctor. He did an xray and said it was still broken. He asked my to go back into non weight bearing plaster for 10 weeks. I was just about to start my grad job so refused. Since then I have worn a walking boot every day (no crutches because I walk fine without them). He ordered my to have a CT scan and said there has been no change to my CT scan done 6 weeks previously.

He has said my options are 8 weeks in non weight bearing plaster which may work but recccomends a bone graft from my hip.

Is this really necessary, should I just give it more time? Is it likely to heal from now on? Could I be suitable for one of those ultrasound thingys? The idea of missing 2/3 months off my new job makes me want to curl up and die. I can walk absolutely fine without my boot if wear an ankle support.

Please offer any help, I sank into such a deep depression when I was in plaster and I genuinely fear for my own mental health. Has anyone had similar experiences?

Btw it was agreed by all doctors that this was the most minor fracture. I will be eternally grateful for any help!!!
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied October 14th, 2014
Experienced User
Serrabella - Sorry about your leg! It’s certainly a frustrating injury! The fibula doesn’t carry any significant load (weight) of the bodybone, so this is in your favor. The Tibia on the other-hand is the bone responsible for the leg’s primary weight responsibilities. When I broke my leg severely, I had surgery on the tibia, but nothing was done to the fibula, and it was severely displaced. When I look at my X-Rays of the fibula from my last visit 14.5 months, it’s completely healed. It’ is a lot thicker than the rest of the bone, but you can’t even guess how much of a gap was there before hand.

I’ve known people that broke their fibula, and it took them close to a year to heal. Remember these bones don’t get the blood flow supply like the rest of the body, so it does takes a lot longer to heal. Honestly, with it not being displaced and being the fibula, I would wait, or get a second opinion!

I wish you the best of luck!

Becca
|
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
Think you might be experiencing bone loss? Check out this Intro to Osteoporosis and evaluate your risk for developing bone weakness. ...
Although bone mass loss is normal as we age, some people are more at risk of developing osteoporosis than others. Are you at risk? More here....
Do you have severe back pain? Do your bones break frequently or with little pressure? You might be experiencing osteoporosis. Found out more here....