User Profile
8 years ago I suffered a brain injury. The only lasting effects have been random memory blanks; wherein for 5-15 min I experience teporary amnesia, not knowing who or where I am or what I'm doing; and occasional migraines. I also have family history of epilepsy. I'm wondering if any of this could be related to a new symptom I developed recently.
I've begun experiencing a strange periodic pressure in my skull. It feels as though my brain is squeezed with the pressure 'rolling' through my skull. It always starts on the crown of my head, shifts down to cover the back of my head before rolling forward stopping behind my eyes before dissapating entirely. It isn't painful just uncomfortable. At most it lasts about 45 seconds in total though it is often only 15-20 seconds in duration. It causes mild balance loss during and for about 5-10 seconds after. I usually pause what I am doing during an episode so I'm not certain if it impares judgement or cognition. I can talk during an episode.

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied October 12th, 2009
Epilepsy Answer A7506
The feeling you reported (starts on the crown of head, shifts down to cover the back of head before rolling forward stopping behind eyes before dissipating entirely), as well as the previous history of brain injury and family history of epilepsy might indicate that you are experiencing a mild form of epilepsy.

Temporal lobe epilepsy is one of the possible forms. However, please do not despair until complete diagnostics are done, because you did not mention the most characteristic symptom of epilepsy which is seizures. The diagnostic procedures would involve: anamnesis, a physical examination, and an EEG (electroencephalogram). An EEG is used to detect the abnormalities in the brain cell activities by registering the changes in the electric charges on the surface of the head where electrodes are placed.

You might want to visit a neurologist for further diagnostics and treatment.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
Click here to learn more about what causes epilepsy and the different types of epilepsy. Start here to learn about the basics of this type of brain disorder. ...
Get the facts on epilepsy types. Identify signs & symptoms of epilepsy. We outline different types of epileptic seizures so you know when to seek help....
How can you know if you're having an epileptic seizure? We outline how doctors clinically diagnose epilepsy and other seizures here....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Epilepsy , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.