My 23 year old son refuses to admit he has mental problems. He demonstrates terrible mood swings, target his mom as the root cause of his problems when in a rage, typically in the mornings. By afternoon, repents his irrational behavior. He is recovering from an epsode of Anorexia and this accentuates his issues. we realize these are symptoms of Bi-polar and/or chronic depression. he is refusing to see any psychologist or a psychiatrist and this is literally tearing our family apart. During such rages, he even threatens to commit suicide. He wishes for his mom to cry and claims this gives him relief.

Are there no recourses where he can be forced to receive medications and help which he so direly needs??
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied May 26th, 2009
Possibly
Depends on where you are in the world. Try to get a doctor to him. He probably won't appreciate you intervening like this, but it's for the best.

Unpalatable as this may sound, his family will have had a huge influence over his life, and it's almost inconceivable that they didn't contribute to the state he's in. So, some family-based therapy in the longer-term may also yield good results.

I know this isn't probably what you want to hear, and most doctors wouldn't dare say it, but it's the way it often is, unfortunately. None of us exist in a social vacuum and we are all influenced by the behavior of those around us.

Good luck.
|

User Profile
replied May 26th, 2009
Experienced User
I would have to agree. Family units can both create a cycle of mental illness, and perpetuate it. I think that family therapy is a good idea ... because then your son won't feel that he is the ONLY person targeted for help.

I also suggest that you look into some form of treatment for your son AWAY from the family. Like an outdoor course, or a camp or a treatment center. Sometimes it can also help to get out of the frying pan in order to deal with your own "issues" and know what you've got cooking!
|
Must Read
Do you know what bipolar is exactly? And what types of bipolar do doctors classify and diagnose? Learn more basics about bipolar disorder here....
Can stress put you at risk of developing bipolar disorder? Read here for information on risk factors which increase the likelihood that someone becomes bipolar....
Bipolar is difficult to diagnose as an illness ... but bipolar symptoms are usually accompanied by extreme changes. What are the symptoms of bipolar disorder?...