Medical Questions > Mental Health > Schizophrenia Forum

Forcing religion on schizophrenics

I have been a member on this site for a while now and I have been diagnosed with schizophrenia for about a year and a half. When I read other topics and peoples comments on them It just drives me up the wall when people force religion on the person who posted the topic. Its always "Pray to god and he will save you" or "Read the Bible and you will find answers". In my opinion thats a load of bull crap first off, if its true that we are all made by god... then why would someone who is supposed to love you unconditonally punish people by giving them such a horrible and unbearable disease... Answer me that.

So please people leave religion as a choice by each individual person. You may think that you are just helping but if there is any other people with schizophrenia on here that are like me, then the topic of religion is very troubling and confusing and you do nothing but make it worse.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied June 8th, 2009
I couldn't agree with you more. Forcing religion on schizophrenics is not only invasive but dangerous as well given the dimensions of our problem - hallucinations, voices and paranoia in particular.

I would offer some advice although I fear I may sound hypocritical or the least no better than the others. However there is a condition called "spirtual emergency" as first described by Stan Grof a known psychologist. In Hinduism it is called "Kundalini" sp?.

I suggest though at the discretion of those who may feel affected that they do their own research. It is as easy as doing a Google search.

I feel that every person has to find god in their own way - whatever "god" turns out to be for them.
|

replied June 11th, 2009
Active User, very eHealthy
However, we must learn or attempt to learn the difference between religion and truth.
My family constantly accuses me of being religious when all I do is ask important questions, all im saying is that there is a big difference between religion and earnestly asking and trying to discover things. Big big difference.

On the subject of religion, im out in my garage one morning, very early, and Im having a cigarette flipping around the channels and i come upon a couple of christians talkin bout the word or something. Anywho, as soon as I turn the channel to them they say something like, "i feel somebody watching, or out there, the hand of god is going to touch you right now", right when they said that I get this feeling in my tummy of some sort of energy or something, it made me a little queesy actually, it didn't feel good at all. Not only that it was a little frightening because I could almost sense what was happening, it wasn't good and it wasn't right. If something like this happens to you don't trust it and don't believe it. I don't quite know what is going on but it is really truly insipid and nasty. I might be better off not knowing, man that would cause some problems.
|

replied June 11th, 2009
Active User, very eHealthy
And man it was freaking wierd. Something was involved with this happening, man I wish I could tell you what it was, as soon as he said that it felt like some sort of uncomfortable sickening energy, thats all I know what to call it, there was definite adrenaline involved. god was it freaky. Would anybody that knows anything about this just like to say anything about it?
|
Quick Reply
Must Read
Schizophrenia is a lifelong brain disorder. But how do doctors define it? And is there a cure?...
What causes schizophrenia? And what are the risks of developing this treatable mental illness?...
The first signs of schizophrenia may be difficult to identify. Learn the most common signs and symptoms of schizophrenia and know when to ask for medical help....