Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > High Blood Pressure and Hypertension Forum

foods to eat to help fight against hypertension?

User Profile
What foods/drinks should I eat to help to help fight against hypertension? My doctor says I should go on a low sodium diet. I'm on blood pressure medicine right now. I was on HCTZ 12.5 mg capsules (2 every morning). Now, I am on Losartan-HCTZ 100-25mg (The blended medicine with both medicines in it). I don't take HCTZ and Losartan seperate, they are both combined into one pill my doctor gave me. The medicine is actually Losartan-HCTZ together. The thing is my blood pressure is doing better now with the newer antihypertensive, but my blood pressure still gets a little high if I have enough sodium or caffeine. I should also mention I take Vyvanse for ADHD so I think that makes it harder to regulate my blood pressure. My diet is a lot better but it's higher in sodium so what can I do to help keep that down?

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied July 31st, 2017
Nutrition Answer A61852
Thank you for asking at Ehealth forum!

I read your question and i understand your concern. Low sodium diet, reducing caloric intake, more exercise and mobilisation, reducing fatty foods, carbs, preferring meats, lentils, beans, proteins in diet help. keep a blood pressure monitored. Fresh fruits and vegetables, but more important is eat less and not eat unless hungry. Exercise daily for 45 minutes at least , the more the merrier.

I hope it helps. Stay in touch with your healthcare provider for further guidance as our answers are just for education and counselling purposes and cannot be an alternative to actual visit to a doctor.
Take care
Khan

|
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
What exactly is blood pressure in the first place? And how can you know if your blood pressure is either high OR low?...
Millions of American have blood pressure problems. Learn what can put you at risk of high or low blood pressure here....
High blood pressure and low blood pressure manifest physical symptoms. Learn the signs of hypertension and hypotension here....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our High Blood Pressure and Hypertension , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.