Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Gallbladder Disease Forum

Food tastes terrible after gallbladder removal

Must Read
Are you suffering from gallbladder pain? We describe the location and function of the gallbladder to target possible problems....
When do you need to see a doctor about possible gallbladder problems? Learn to distinguish signs and symptoms of gallbladder disease to take action before it's...
Gallstones are the most frequent cause of an inflamed gallbladder. Know the common symptoms of gallstones or gallstone attack....
My husband had his gallbladder removed 5 weeks ago. No gallstones, just non-functioning. He has healed OK, no more pain but cannot eat because every time he puts something into his mouth he says it's like a flood of bitterness and he has to spit it out. He can eat applesauce and fruit cocktail but after 5 weeks and dropping 30 lbs. we need to find a solution to this. Has seen 4 doctors and all are stumped. Anybody else experience this? Have not found one person who has experienced this.
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper deucecoup
|

replied January 31st, 2012
Hope your husband is doing better. I had my gallbladder removed Dec 7, 2011; not functioning correctly. I have noticed that MANY foods taste different to me, but I wasn't sure why. I noticed it started after surgery. Sorry, I'm not any help, but I wanted you to know that there is at least one other person who's taste has changed after surgery. God bless Smile
|

replied August 28th, 2018
Same thing happened to me, took me a while to get back to normal but it faded after a while
|

replied June 13th, 2013
Here, too
I just had mine done a few days ago; same situation. Some foods taste way better now; some of my old favorites repulse me. I'd love to lose 30 pounds. That would be just about right for me. Hope it happens.
|

replied August 22nd, 2013
I had my GB out 3 weeks ago. I'm healing fine but eating is a problem. Everything has a metallic taste and just the thought of food causes nausea. Applesauce, jello, ensure type drinks, ice-cream sandwich are all that taste tolerable. I try to force down some protein to keep my strength up. My Doctor says it's probably is from all the antibiotics from my operation. Hope it gets better. After I eat, everything is okay and the bad taste goes away.
|

replied August 7th, 2015
Had my gallbladder removed a few days ago and some foods also taste different. It is interesting how apple sauce is something that tastes good to most of us. I hope it has improved for some of you.
|

replied August 7th, 2015
Extremely eHealthy
I had a different surgery but after I was in my regular room, my mouth at the roof was hurting. They put a tube down my throat and scratched it...not enough KY and my taste buds were damaged. Did they do a tube in your mouth?
|

replied May 13th, 2017
Yes, the roof of my mouth and down my throat is terribly sore. I am also experiencing the terrible taste. All my favorite foods taste horrible.. I never liked applesauce, I guess I will be a big jello eater....
|

User Profile
replied November 24th, 2016
Gallbladder removal and sense of taste
I had my gallbladder removed because I was having attacks more and more frequently.
I went to this sight because no-one mentioned that I might lose my sense of taste. I'm not overweight but food is an important part of my life.
Everything I eat even if I'm hungry doesn't break down in my mouth. It seems like I am not making enough saliva. Food has turned into stuff in my mouth with a taste of cardboard. I had my surgery three days ago. I wasn't much fun for thanksgiving. Maybe I'll get it back. But I will say one thing gallbladder attacks are heavy cross to bear. In spite of this side effect Iam greatful to the doctor and nurses.
|

User Profile
replied November 24th, 2016
I had my gallbladder removed because I was having attacks more and more frequently.
I went to this sight because no-one mentioned that I might lose my sense of taste. I'm not overweight but food is an important part of my life.
Everything I eat even if I'm hungry doesn't break down in my mouth. It seems like I am not making enough saliva. Food has turned into stuff in my mouth with a taste of cardboard. I had my surgery three days ago. I wasn't much fun for thanksgiving. Maybe I'll get it back. But I will say one thing gallbladder attacks are heavy cross to bear. In spite of this side effect Iam greatful to the doctor and nurses.
|

User Profile
replied June 13th, 2017
I am 4 weeks post-op from gallbladder removal. Since the surgery, coffee tastes bitter. I usually drink 2-3 mugs each morning, but now it tastes so bitter, I can hardly get 1-2 mugs. We even tried changing brands of coffee, but all of them taste bitter some taste more strongly than others.
|

replied October 21st, 2017
So did anyone find out what the problem is?!?!
|

replied April 16th, 2018
Gall Bladder Surgery
Had my gb removed 3 days ago. A lot of foods I liked before now taste horrible. Even cherry jello and flavored waters. I'm on a bland diet for 2 weeks - normally I'm on a low-carb diet because I'm a diabetic. So I'm eating foods I normally wouldn't touch. I'm hoping when I go back to low-carb, food will taste better. That being said, I am glad I've had the surgery. The pain had become constant for 3 days and I had no idea what was wrong. So thankful it wasn't anything worse.
|

replied August 9th, 2018
I had my gallbladder out 4 weeks ago and absolutely nothing tastes the same. I can barely eat anything. Since the surgery I have lost 25lbs. My stomach still hurts. My surgeon looks at me and says you shouldn't have any pain with a puzzled look. But I do. Waiting for results of a abdominal CT scan. I truly understand how your husband feels I pray things get better for him and others in this predicament.
|

replied August 11th, 2018
Three days post op. Non functional gallbladder. Food tastes weird now. I can't explain the exact taste. But maybe the anesthetic type taste when they first put you under. I hope it goes away. I hope everyone has had a resolve with this issue.
|

replied August 27th, 2018
I hope your husband is feeling better, I had the same issue for the first month
|