Medical Questions > Mental Health > Eating Disorders Forum

Food sensitivities / intolerances ?

I'm wondering if there is a specific blood test that is done to test for food sensitivity or intolerance. I'm not talking about full-blown allergic reaction (skin rash, swelling, throat closing)...I'm referring more to the likes of digestive discomfort (bloating, gas, bowel issues). Aside from an elimination diet, which I already know about...is there an easier/quicker/precise way (like a blood screening) of knowing exactly which foods trigger digestive problems? Because in my particular case, if I had to eliminate every food that I suspected to be an intolerance...I'd literally have nothing left to eat! There has to be a simpler way of determining food intolerances. Anyone???
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied March 2nd, 2009
Extremely eHealthy
You may talk with your physician to order testings for lactose intolerance and gluten intolerance.
Lactose intolerance can be diagnosed by using a blood test, The Lactose Tolerance Test, or The Hydrogen Breath Test, measuring the amount of hydrogen in your breath.
You may be performed Celiac Disease test, determine gluten intolerance, but, this test is known to picks up the small percentage of Gluten-sensitive people who are Celiac (other are missed out, and the elimination diet is suggested).
Although, complicated, still, elimination diet works best for everyone.
|

replied March 2nd, 2009
Thanks for your reply. Yes, I've already had the blood test for Celiac's...it was negative. I've not had an official lactose tolerance test, but I did try taking Lactaid enzymes before eating any dairy, and it did not help at all. So, since the enzymes did not provide any relief...is it safe to say that I am NOT lactose-intolerant?
|

replied March 6th, 2009
allergy test
you can get IgE blood test for food senstivities that test for antibodies to different foods. It often helps to eliminate these from ur diet.
|

User Profile
replied March 9th, 2009
I was recently diagnosed with gluten intolerance after over a year of blood tests, ultrasounds, etc. The doctors kept telling me that I had acid reflux and put me on various drugs that did nothing for my stomach pain, bloating, gas, etc. Finally, I was referred to a gastroenterologist who performed a upper GI endoscopy and took a biopsy of my small intestine which came back positive for Celiac Disease. A blood test for this can come back with either false negatives or positives and if you are going to be tested for Celiac, make sure you are eating gluten before your appointment or the test will show nothing.
|

replied March 6th, 2012
Experienced User
An elimination diet can be used for determining food intolerances. It works but it is extremely hard. Becasue it is time consuming as well as it requires a lot of motivation.

Food intolerance testing by Alcat helps identify potentially harmful foods that you can remove from your diet.
|
Must Read
Anorexia nervosa is one of several eating disorders. But what is anorexia exactly and who does it affect? Get anorexia basics and facts in this short intro....
Although doctors don't the exact causes of anorexia, there are a few factors that put certain people at risk of developing the condition. Click here for more....
What are the most common signs of anorexia? We list the physical and behavioral symptoms of anorexia here and outline when to seek help....