I’m trying to find out what I am intolerant of and wondered if anyone could help.

It started off having eaten a lot of bread in Germany and my stomach bloated loads.
Since then I notice if I eat anything with wheat in it my stomach bloats and my wind pipe tightens (feels like a lump in my throat). I have now started to get heart burn after, what seems like, everything I eat.

So this morning I decided to try cutting gluten out of my diet as this seemed the most likely. However seconds after finishing a bowl of Crunchy Nut Cornflakes (containing no gluten) my stomach is uncomfortably bloated, my throat tight and I have heart burn! I also have wind so I can burp again and again.

Please help.

Crunchy Nut Cornflakes ingredients:
Maize, Brown Sugar, (Sugar, Molasses), Peanuts, Sugar, Honey, Barley Malt Flavouring, Salt, Glucose-Fructose Syrup, Niacin, Iron, Vitamin B6, Riboflavin (B2), Thiamin (B1), Folic Acid, Vitamin B12.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied July 16th, 2008
food intolerance
It can be really hard to determine a food intolerance as you can be intolerant to more then one thing. Milk in the cereal could be the culprit, it's hard to tell.

There is a good book that I used to find a food intolerance for me. However, it takes some commitment to do an elimination diet so it up to you about how serious your problem is and if it effects you enough to go through the food elimination process.

The book is: Food Allergies and Food Intolerance: The Complete Guide to Their Identification and Treatment by Jonathan Brostoff , Linda Gamlin.

Good luck!
|

replied January 15th, 2009
gluten allergy
My wife is allergic to gluten also. She tells me that gluten is in wheat, barley and oats (only oats produced in USA since it's in the same fields as wheat). So that barley malt flavoring might have gluten in it.
|

replied February 27th, 2009
It's the barley malt
Barley Malt is on the "unsafe" list of Gluten-Free foods. That is most likely what you had a reaction to.
|

User Profile
replied September 21st, 2009
Experienced User
Try literally eating nothing but fruit, veg or meat for an entire day, essentially guaranteeing you're not having anything manufactured and ruling out any disorders which might be occurring that are happening from just eating!
|
Must Read
What causes allergies? We review risk factors and common allergens in this intro to allergies section....
What causes an allergy? Who is more likely to develop allergies? More here....
Which allergy symptoms are serious signs of allergic reaction and which are merely bothersome? Common types of allergy symptoms and allergic reactions here....