Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Allergies Forum

Food allergy? Not sure why I keep getting sick.

Today I ate a granola bar (Berry NutriGrain) and it made me sick. I tried to make myself throw up, but I couldn't. Sometimes when I eat things I feel instantly nauseated, bloated, and hot or lightheaded (kind of like I feel when I overheat out in the sun). It's bad enough that I came home from work early, because I didn't think I could sit through the meeting I had scheduled. This isn't the first time this has happened, I've dealt with this for as long as I can remember, and it's always random foods that makes it happen. The other most recent time that I can think of was a couple of weeks ago, when I had a peanut butter and jelly sandwich and chips for lunch. It was really bad that day.

I've been thinking maybe I'm lactose intolerant, and have tried to avoid dairy for a little while (though I'm not too good about it). But today, and when I had the sandwich, I hadn't had any dairy. I've also considered gluten intolerance, and gluten might be the next thing I cut out, but I don't think I get sick every time I eat wheat products. Just sometimes. Can gluten intolerance be inconsistent?

I've also had other digestive/bowel issues as long as I can remember, but haven't been able to link it to a specific food. I was at the doctor a lot as a kid for stomach aches and heartburn but I'm surprised no one ever suggested a food allergy. Beer sometimes makes me sick too, but not always.

Does anyone have any ideas or ways to figure out how to stop getting sick?
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper User Profile guest43741
|

replied September 20th, 2012
Update: I got really sick again. I think that it might be lactose intolerance, and I'm learning more. I didn't know that whey contained lactose, and there was whey in the granola bar. I also read that bread can have lactose, but only certain kinds, which explains why it only sometimes makes me sick. I can eat some cheese, though, without it making me feel too terrible which is something that's confused me, but I read that a lot of L.I. people can tolerate small amounts of cheese. Is it normal to be made very sick by some foods and only slightly by others?
|

replied October 3rd, 2012
it might be because your allergic to glutton.....try eaten all glutton free products
|

replied November 7th, 2012
This sounds more like gluten intolerance/sensitivity or possibly, maybe less likely, celiac disease.
|

replied January 21st, 2013
You might have developed an allergy to nuts. Try eating some on an empty stomach and see what happens. You could also go in to the DR and have them do an allergy patch test on your back.
|
Must Read
What causes allergies? We review risk factors and common allergens in this intro to allergies section....
What causes an allergy? Who is more likely to develop allergies? More here....
Which allergy symptoms are serious signs of allergic reaction and which are merely bothersome? Common types of allergy symptoms and allergic reactions here....