User Profile
I have been noticing a change in myself since battling an eating disorder two years ago (which was never treated-more self acknowledged if anything). While I eat much healthier now, I still have some symptoms (I weigh myself obsessively and eat many routine foods- though I do get needed calories!). I lost my period for about a year, but it came back 4 months ago and has been steady ever since. I know that I am much happier now, but still have a cloud that seems to hang overhead on a daily basis. I have lots of plans and things I want to do, but find myself having difficulty concentrating. I am desperate for this to stop controlling my life, but cannot afford expensive treatment (nor were I SO severe that I would need it). Any recommendation? Medicine? I want to have different focuses than food and my body. I would safely assume I have depression.

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied March 11th, 2010
Eating Disorders Answer A10598
Hi, welcome to the ehealth forum and I am glad to help you.
You seem to be concerned by eating disorder and feeling of being obsessed by the thoughts of food and body.
You seem to be suffering from an eating disorder, the true nature of which can be ascertained by a detailed history and interview. Patients with an eating disorder usually have overconcern with body shape an weight. Anorexia nervosa patients show the symptoms of thoughts of food dominating the life. Patients may obsessively collect cookbooks and recipes etc. Some patients may develop symptoms of depression. You need to consult your psychiatrist for establishing the correct diagnosis and starting the appropriate therapy at the earliest so that complications can be avoided.
Hope this helps. Take care.
Note: This post is not to emphasise final diagnosis as the same cannot be made online and is aimed just to provide medical information and no treatment suggested above be taken without face to face consultation with health care professional.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
Must Read
Anorexia nervosa is one of several eating disorders. But what is anorexia exactly and who does it affect? Get anorexia basics and facts in this short intro....
Although doctors don't the exact causes of anorexia, there are a few factors that put certain people at risk of developing the condition. Click here for more....
What are the most common signs of anorexia? We list the physical and behavioral symptoms of anorexia here and outline when to seek help....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Eating Disorders , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.