Medical Questions > Mental Health > ADD and ADHD Forum

Focus Trouble - Drug Tolerance

User Profile
I'm struggling with ADHD symptoms and am very tolerant to stimulants. I have tried a lot of medicines in the amphetamine and methylphenidate categories. Non-stimulants didn't work well at all with me.

I don't like taking drug holidays or time off stimulants to help reverse the tolerance some, but yet I don't do well when I take the medicines every day long-term.

I've been working with my psychiatrist and sort of lowering the dose over time and then bumping it up on the days I need to focus more, but that's about all that has worked. However, this tactic only works for maybe 1-2 days max before the tolerance rebuilds for the higher doses and I'm back in the same boat again.

I am wanting to try to get off the Focalin completely at some point, but now I am back in college and needing focus more than ever, so I don't see many good answers.

Are there medicines one can take to mitigate the ADHD med withdrawal? Maybe Provigil or Nuvigil would be things my psychiatrist could help me with? What do you think may be best?

My psychiatrist is uncertain about if that would help since I have issues with long-acting stimulants, yet I'm wondering if there are people who take those meds I just mentioned would help decrease some of the withdrawal enough to get off the Focalin?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied January 23rd, 2019
Thank you for asking at Ehealth forum!

I read your question and I understand your concern.
Both provigil or nuvigil can be used. I would suggest you to consult psychologist for psychotherapy sessions.
I hope it helps. Stay in touch with your healthcare provider for further guidance as our answers are just for education and counselling purposes and cannot be an alternative to actual visit to a doctor.
Take care
Khan
|
Did you find this post helpful?
Quick Reply
Must Read
Attention-deficit hyperactivity disorder (AD/HD) is a neurobiological disorder that can interfere in a person's daily life. Learn more about ADHD basics here....
Have doctors found an exact cause of ADHD? Do biological factors or genes have anything to do with it? More on causes and risks of ADHD development here....
What are the symptoms of ADHD and when do they first present? We outline the principal characteristics of attention deficit hyperactivity disorder to help you...
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our ADD and ADHD , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.