Medical Questions > Cancer > Thyroid Cancer Forum

FNA vs regular U/S, 15 yo w/9x4x4mm cyst

One of our sons (15) had a fluid cyst discovered via U/S a year ago.

This year, he had a follow-up U/S. There was some solidification at one end in the form of some 2mm nodules, but no micro-calcification or vascularization. The overall size of the cyst did not change.

The endoc said she was 99% sure it's benign, but wanted to do an FNA to be sure. I'm reluctant to put him through the FNA, and would prefer to just monitor via regular U/S for now.

I know it can be difficult to be sure a sample was obtained when the nodules are small.

Is my reasoning flawed?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied January 28th, 2018
Thank you for asking at Ehealth forum!

I read your question and i understand your concern.
As there is solidification in the cyst which is a sonographic feature of malignancy,FNA should be done to rule out malignancy.
I hope it helps. Stay in touch with your healthcare provider for further guidance as our answers are just for education and counselling purposes and cannot be an alternative to actual visit to a doctor.
Take care
Khan
|
Did you find this post helpful?
Tags: Cancer
Quick Reply
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Thyroid Cancer , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.