User Profile
Symptoms: Frequent irregular heartbeat (fluttering & palpitations) sometimes accompanied by urge to expel breathe (like a 'mini-cough').

It's as though there's sudden pressure deep down in my left lung that forces it to expel air. It coincides with palpitation-hearbeats. It's almost like a tapping sensation on my lung regardless of whether I'm in/exhaling. Can happen once-off or repeatedly. My imagination says it's a bulging blood-vessel pressing against the lung?

Came off 20mg Simvastatins 4wks ago (taking for 1yr) to see if impotence decreases (it hasn't). Symptoms appeared 3-4wks ago. A;so, skin on hands+feet suddenly became very dried and aged but has lessened.

Palpitations noticeable when I'm at ease and sitting down. No pain at all. I can also relieve the symptoms by breathing in deeply (and holding breath) - as though the pressure in the inflated lung is greater than the pressure in the blood-vessel?

History of heart probs on male side. Bypass: dad 5 & bro 3; dad LVF+ang

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied April 29th, 2010
Heart Disease and Heart Attack Answer A11626
Hi, welcome to the ehealth forum and I am glad to help you.
You seem concerned by frequent palpitations and cough and relief in symptoms on holding breath.
There are two possibilities in your case-Heart disease with associated arrhythmias or gastroesophageal reflux disease. More chances are of heart related problems as there in no pain and no relation with meals and lying down and also you have a strong family history of coronary artery disease with bypass in your father and brother.
You must consult your cardiologist who may like to get an ecg, chest x-ray and echocardiography done to reach the definitive diagnosis.
Hope this helps. Take care.
Note: This post is not to emphasise final diagnosis as the same cannot be made online and is aimed just to provide medical information and no treatment suggested above be taken without face to face consultation with health care professional.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
What happens during a heart attack? Get heart attack facts here....
What causes a heart attack? Are women more likely than men to have a heart attack? We review the risk factors and causes of heart attack here....
Can you identify early signs and symptoms of a heart attack? Are women heart attack symptoms different than men? Click here to learn when to seek help....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Heart Disease and Heart Attack , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.