Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Sinusitis Forum

flushed sinuses with tap water, is it safe? Mom said no!

I've had a sinus infection since June of last year...it showed up in a CT scan when I was at the hospital for a brain injury. I had an MRI done in December and it was still there. I've been having some strange symptoms the past couple days and I was wondering if it was related to the sinus infection...so I decided to flush my sinuses out with warm tap water and salt.

I told my mom what I was doing after I already flushed 10-12 times using a syringe and warm tap water and she told me to stop because 2 people died last year from a brain eating bacteria called amoeba after flushing with tap water.....I did not boil or sanitize the water in any way.

HELP!!! What are the chances of this happening to me? I've been freaking out all day and have had non-stop panic attacks. I don't know what to do.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied March 6th, 2012
Don't do that, if you ever do that just use bottled water.
|

replied May 16th, 2012
Use distilled water or boiled first water. Very important.
|

replied September 17th, 2012
you can get a bad infection, but maybe not, tap water does go through a filtration system...so hopefully you're ok
|
Must Read
Do you have a cold or a sinus infection? Learn the difference plus more info on different types of sinus infections (sinusitis) here....
What can cause a short-term or long-term case of sinus infection? We review both. Learn how to avoid the risk of developing an infection in this section....
What are the first signs that you have trouble with your sinuses? Learn to identify a sinus infection early ... plus know when you should seek medical help....