Medical Questions > Womens Health > Vaginal and Uterus Health Forum

fluid sac in my uterus, neg pregnancy blood test?

Must Read
To better understand abnormal vaginal bleeding, we first review normal vaginal bleeding. Do you know when uterine blood is normal, or not?...
What are the signs and symptoms of abnormal vaginal bleeding? When should you seek help?...
Prepare yourself and know what to expect when you visit your doctor for vaginal bleeding. We review the medical tests and diagnostic procedures frequently used....
User Profile
I have a cyst on my left ovary that is causing pain, pregnancy like symptoms and very heavy menstration. I went to my OBGYN on 4/10/2012. A blood test for pregnancy was negative so I went back three days later for an ultrasound which showed the cyst has grown 2 cm (to 6cm) in a little less than a month. The ultrasound also showed a fluid sac in my uterus. To me it looked like a gestational sac. My OBGYN said she isn't worried about it but couldn't rule out that it was a pregnancy. I ovulated sometime between 3/26 and 3/29 and we had sex during that time without protection. My period came four days early and was light compared to usual. It also only lasted 72 hours and I spotted for another 12. It usually lasts five full days. I am also having symptoms of headache and slight breast leakage. Could the egg have implanted just before the blood test and showed up on ultrasound three days later or could it be leftover blood for my period? My period ended the day of the ultrasound.

Did you find this post helpful?

User Profile
replied April 25th, 2012
Vaginal and Uterus Health Answer A34253
Welcome to ehealthforum,
If pregnancy is suspected (as suggested by symptoms of early and lighter periods, spotting, headache, breast leakage, etc), you can consider getting repeat ultrasound scan done to confirm if the sac seen within uterus is gestational sac. Getting blood/serum HCG levels tested will also help to confirm/rule out pregnancy. If the ovarian cyst has been growing and if you have worsening of symptoms, then you should consider going ahead with further evaluation done to rule out presence of hormone secreting cyst, ovarian cancer etc. Treatment as indicated (based on examination findings and investigations results) would be started to help you. Consider being in regular monitoring and follow-up with your treating doctor/gynecologist and report any new/abnormal symptoms immediately. Drink plenty of water. Take adequate rest.
Take care.

Did you find this post helpful?
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Vaginal and Uterus Health , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.