Medical Questions > Womens Health > Womens Conditions Forum

fluid detected in Pouch of Douglas?

User Profile
As a teenager I use to have a 31 day cycle period (heavily involved sports) and would often have some cramping/nausia during heaviest day of period. I went on the pill and never had any further difficulties, besides some slight cramping. Came off pill 6 months age. My period is now on a 27day cycle with very slight bleeding on the first day (really just blood when I wipe) then very light flow on the second, regular/heavy flow on the third followed by two days of light flow and occasional spotting on the last day. On my heaviest day I have moderate cramping, no nausia. My husband and I are wanting to try for a baby. So I went for my PAP smear and blood work. All came back normal, including cervical swap. However doctor commented that I did have some cervical erosion. I have only had one sexual partner. Went for transvaginal ultrasound (day 23 of cycle). Ovaries, uterus etc normal, but 71ml of fluid detected in Pouch of Douglas. What could this mean?

Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper User Profile

User Profile
replied February 18th, 2011
Womens Conditions Answer A19762
Hi, and thanks for your medical question on eHealth forum!

Fluid in Pouch of Douglas can be due to a ruptured ovarian cyst, pelvic infection, tuberculosis or even due to certain cancers (unlikely in your case). Since a confirmed diagnosis cannot be given on net please consult your gynecologist regarding this. This will need further follow up. Hope this helps. Take care!

Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
Menstruation is a woman's normal monthly menstrual period. But what are the signs of abnormal periods? When is vaginal bleeding serious?...
Regular vaginal bleeding vagina is a sign of healthy menstruation. What signs and symptoms point to menstrual problems? Read on to learn the difference....
Menstrual irregularity means that something is wrong. Learn how to identify the signs and symptoms of an irregular period to prevent larger problems later...
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Womens Conditions , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.