Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Hernia Forum

Fluid build-up near hernia scar

User Profile

I had hernia surgery almost 2 years ago and this week, I will be having fluid that is filling up near where the hernia was. Is this a complication that I will need to have drained every few months for the rest of my life? Or is there a chance when the doctor did the hernia surgery that he knicked an area making the fluid build up? My side is swollen and it hurts but after it is drained, it is fine for about 2 weeks then it starts again.
Thank you .

I should say that the surgery started to be a key hole type of surgery but the doctor stated once he started, that he could not finish it that way and then he had to open me up, I didn't know if this had anything to do with the fluid buildup.

Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper User Profile

User Profile
replied June 23rd, 2010
Hernia Answer A13431
Hi and welcome to the forum! I am glad that I can help you.

You want to know the cause of the symptoms that you experience.

Hernia is condition when part of the peritoneum or intestines protrude through the muscles. As the muscles contract the part of the peritoneum or intestines can be strangulated and can't be moved back into the abdominal cavity. There are two types of surgeries for hernia repair, laparoscopic (where instruments are placed in the abdomen through several holes in the abdominal wall) and laparotomic (open surgery). If the muscular wall is not strengthened enough the hernia may reappear or communication between the abdominal cavity and the subcutaneous tissue could appear so that part of the fluid that is normally in the abdominal cavity can pass and build up near the scar.

According to the data that you described, you are experiencing a build-up of fluid near the scar. See your doctor or abdominal surgeon to rule out whether the fluid build up is due to underlying medical conditions which are characterized by increased production of fluid in the abdominal cavity. You may also consult the abdominal surgeon about whether a new surgery would be required.

Please keep in mind that I provide medical information only. I am not able to diagnose medical conditions online. Please contact your doctor or other qualified healthcare provider such as an abdominal surgeon for further advice and information about diagnosis and treatment options.

Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Hernia , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.