I'm 40 years old and very healthy. Nothing about my life puts me at high risk for contracting influenza. Should I get vaccinated?

In theory, vaccination of healthy people should be beneficial for the community because, even though healthy people don't benefit much from avoiding the flu, their immunity reduces the spread of the disease to weak and elderly people. If that's true, I'd be glad to get a flu shot just to "strengthen the herd".

If it is true, however, then why don't the CDC recommendations include a suggestion that healthy people get vaccinated? I've read recommendations from the CDC and from other agencies, and I'm forming the opinion that, although there may be a theoretical benefit to flu vaccination for me, it isn't significant enough to bother.

-TC
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied December 11th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
i dont get the flu shot..i've luckily been able to avoid it thus far..*knock on wood*
|

replied December 11th, 2008
I get the Flu shot every year. The Flu can make you feel like you want to die for a week or two. Its worth getting the shot.
|
Must Read
The common cold is probably the most well known illness known to man. But did you know that it's a virus? Read to learn the basics about cold here....
How do you get a cold? And what causes the cold? Learn more about causes of the cold, and risk factors that you can avoid to prevent this illness....
You probably know many of the symptoms of a cold: sneezing, sore throat, a stuffy nose, and coughing. Do you know the difference between the flu vs. a cold?...