Medical Questions > Womens Health > Womens Conditions Forum

Fleshy clot passed during period

Must Read
Menstruation is a woman's normal monthly menstrual period. But what are the signs of abnormal periods? When is vaginal bleeding serious?...
Regular vaginal bleeding vagina is a sign of healthy menstruation. What signs and symptoms point to menstrual problems? Read on to learn the difference....
Menstrual irregularity means that something is wrong. Learn how to identify the signs and symptoms of an irregular period to prevent larger problems later...
User Profile
Large Fleshy/Tissue Blood Clot passed during menstrual cycle.


My periods have always been medoum-heavy flow and are regular. i am mesnstruating at the moment. i have never had blood clots before but passed one when i was in the bath of large size. the clot had lots of fleshy looking tissue in. the other night i experienced quite alot of pain in my abdoment but nothing since. should i be worried? and what are fleshy like blood clots a symptom of?? what other symptoms should i be worried about experiencing or that may ring alarm bells now i have paased this large clot.


Did you find this post helpful?

User Profile
replied July 29th, 2010
Womens Conditions Answer A14763
Welcome to the forum. I am really glad to help you out. If you had unprotected sexual intercourse recently, there’s a possibility of you actually having the miscarriage. The possibility of miscarriage is due to the passage of big clots along with the tissue like thing which you saw. An ultrasound of the uterus should be done to look for any remnants of conception, if indeed that is the case. Serum HCG levels should also be done. The remain elevated for sometime even after the miscarriage. If miscarriage is ruled out, then other causes of excessive menstrual bleeding (menorrhagia) should be looked for. Causes of menorrhagia are Hypothyroidism, Endometrial proliferation or hyperplasia like ovarian tumor and polycystic ovarian disease, endometrial polyps and neoplasia, endometriosis, fibroids and uterine sarcomas.

In my opinion you need to get your pelvic examination done from your gynecologist along with investigations like complete blood count, thyroid function tests, PAP smear and ultrasound uterus. Once cause of menorrhagia is identified, treatment can be planned. It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care.

Did you find this post helpful?
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Womens Conditions , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.