I had a kidney stone in Oct. 2012 and have had on and off flank pain since. I have told my GP many times but she refuses to talk to me about it or run any tests/imaging. She tells me if I am worried I can see a urologist. Well since it is on/off and I feel she is dismissive I have not went to see a specialist. I am not sure if it has anything to do with my urinary tract. The pain is moderate and occurs in waves (like my insides are being squeezed- muscle contraction). I feel it a few times a week. My question is should I see a specialist? Find a new GP to look at me? I feel I am letting it go but I also do not want to make a big deal and wait 6 months for an appointment for no reason.
Did you find this post helpful?

User Profile
replied April 29th, 2014
hi there
there is nothing to worry
the pain your describing is typical of stone.
get an xray abdomen pelvis
and ultrasound abdomen pelvis to measure the size and location of stone
kidney stone less than 5mm can be excreted in urine

drink alot of water
urine alkalinizing agents can be helpful

consult a urologist for proper management
thanks for using ehealth forum
Did you find this post helpful?

replied May 17th, 2014
I would be concerned. Your symptoms do sound like you have a partial ureteral obstruction. I am a stone producer and have had many over the years. A more obstructive stone would cause intense colicky pain. A partial obstruction can still cause a the kidney to swell and over a period of time result in a loss of function.

I've passed 5mm stones with the help of drugs that dilate the ureter --- see your urologist. They will probably order up a CT scan. I've had 6 AB/Pelvic CTs in addition to many IVPs, KUBs and ureteroscopies (stent placements) and if you can avoid the radiation, do so. The US mentioned above is a good start but many times US will not show the stones, due to clarity, stone type or body habitus. An IVP has way less radiation than a CT and shows the stones well, but use iodine which many are allergic to.

Also, rarely you could have a ureteral growth that can cause symptoms.
Did you find this post helpful?
Quick Reply
Must Read
The kidneys filter blood and regulate body flood. What happens during kidney failure? And what types of kidney failure do doctors diagnose?...
There are three main condition which cause renal (kidney) failure. Learn what causes kidney failure and what factors increase your risk of kidney problems....
What are the signs of acute or chronic kidney failure? Which ones are more serious than others? And when should you ask a doctor or go to the ER for help?...
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Kidney Conditions , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.