So about four days ago I noticed small spot like things around my vagina, I thought they were just normal spots until they turned into ulcers - and naturally, very painful. So I went to my doctor, and she instantly diagnosed me with Genital Herpes.
I`m 17 years old, and have only had one sexual partner in my life - and we`ve been together for two years now, but he`s never had symptoms; and neither have I till now - guess I have to be the unlucky one.

Anyway I had a few questions regarding my first (the current) outbreak.
First of all, it is seriously, seriously painful. Stinging, agonising and I don`t know what to do since my doctor didn`t recommend me any drugs to take for it. I want to hide it from my parents, but its becoming obvious when I cant even sit down for a meal without squirming and wincing. Furthermore - I`m on my period right now, and its a very heavy flow, so I`m having even more difficulty as I`m supposed to be keeping the sores dry. I`ve never used a tampon before but have started to the last two days; yet since I don`t have an applicator I cannot seem to apply them properly; they are also really painful and don`t seem to go all the way in so are really uncomfortable.

The questions I really want to know the answers to are -
How long will this outbreak last?
I`m going to Paris with my boyfriend in four days, and I really don`t want the whole week to be ruined by me unable to walk and almost crying it hurts so much.

What can I do to make it shorter?
Seriously.

What can I do to ease the pain?
I`ve tried things like ice, cold hairdryer, peeing whilst in the bath - I`ve even tried bath salts. They all work to some very short degree, but for example when I am out and have a sudden more painful episode what can I do then? Should I keep them dry all the time or can I use something like vaseline or...? Should I even go back to my doctor and say I really, really need medicine or will it not help?

Can I use pads or should I stick to *painful* tampons?
Are there any special pads I could use? Or will the wet-ness make the outbreak last longer?

Please help; I`m sure as you all know I`ll just be sitting here in agony until I get a reply.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied August 12th, 2012
Hi,
Welcome to ehealthforum,
If the symptoms have not been resolving or getting worse, you should consider visiting your doctor/gynecologist for further evaluation to confirm the diagnosis of genital herpes (by going ahead with serological tests done). Get started on treatment (antiviral oral medications, topical preparations etc) to help control the infection as well as symptoms. Men can remain asymptomatic. If you are sexually active make sure that your partner also gets treated simultaneously to prevent chances of re-infection. Avoid sexual contact while being on treatment course. Keep area clean and dry. Wait for your periods to stop. You can try using smaller size tampons during periods.
Take care.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
20% of the population has or carries herpes simplex virus. But do you know what herpes is? Learn about causes and risk factors for herpes. ...
Do you know the less common signs and symptoms of herpes? Get the facts of herpes symptoms and outbreaks here....
Herpes diagnosis requires proper testing. Learn about the two simple tests that doctors use to confirm a herpes diagnosis....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Herpes and Genital Warts , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.