Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Herpes and Genital Warts Forum

First herpes breakout after starting Vibryyd (antidepressant)?

I have been on other antidepressants in the past, never had a problem. I have been in a monogamous relationship for a year. My boyfriend had HPV (which he contracted from his ex-wife), but he was upfront about it from the beginning). I had never had a herpes outbreak before, but a few weeks after starting the new antidepressant, Vibryyd, I had an outbreak on a small area (less than a 1/2 inch) on my left labia. It came out of nowhere. I had a test done and it was positive for herpes. I'm in my 30s, so I'm pretty in-tune with the reality of the situation. I just found it odd that I'd never had an outbreak before. I had never had any symptoms in the past and I've had several std tests in the past. I was wondering if anyone has ever heard of an antidepressant (or any medication, for that matter) causing a herpes flare at least a year after being infected. Could there be a link??
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied September 30th, 2012
Hi,
Welcome to ehealthforum,
The outbreaks of herpes can occur anytime when either your immunity goes down, or if the viral load becomes more. Other triggers include stress, illness, surgery, vigorous sex, diet changes, menstrual period time, trauma, alcohol use, etc. There may not be direct link to use of antidepressants. The outbreaks can get frequent as you grow old, and also women are known to have severe form of disease and outbreaks than compared to men. Consider visiting your doctor/dermatologist for further evaluation and assistance for control of outbreak, and discuss about getting started on prophylactic treatment to prevent recurrent outbreaks.
Take care.

|

replied February 14th, 2016
Villazadone (Viibryd) and herpes outbreak
My experience is almost identical to that of justbeachy. In my case, it's been three years or more since I had contact with an infected person. I was tested over a year ago and told I only had oral herpes, the very common kind. I have never had an outbreak or any symptoms of herpes whatsoever. I started on Viibryd about a month ago, and out of the blue, here's an apparent outbreak of herpes. Most upsetting, since I thought I had dodged that bullet.
|
Must Read
20% of the population has or carries herpes simplex virus. But do you know what herpes is? Learn about causes and risk factors for herpes. ...
Do you know the less common signs and symptoms of herpes? Get the facts of herpes symptoms and outbreaks here....
Herpes diagnosis requires proper testing. Learn about the two simple tests that doctors use to confirm a herpes diagnosis....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Herpes and Genital Warts , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.