Medical Questions > Womens Health > Menstruation Forum

first day of period - brown thick creamy dischardge!!

the last few times i have been on my period, on the first day the peiod is brown and really thick almost solid! when this first started i wasn't sexally active! I am not on the pill and my periods are very irregular! I started my period when i was about 15!
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper Privacy
|

replied October 4th, 2009
Many women experience "irregular" periods which stay that way throughout their life. Your discharge sounds like a combination of two factors. One- The creamy part is normal vaginal fluid which all women excrete, all the time. Your vaginal is never truly dry (unless menopausal)it goes through stages of stringy (sometimes up to 12" strings noticed when using the washroom) and clear, to stages of thick, creamy and white closer to your period. The younger you are, the more likely you are to have more cervical fluid as your body prepares for a possible pregnancy every month. Two- The brown discharge is blood. It is more brown the longer it has been out of the uterus and exposed to air (i.e. in the vagina.) The longer it takes to come down the vagina, the more brown it will be. Also if it is a small amount, as the first day of a period often is, it may start to dry up on the way, becoming more solid.
Sidenote - The stringer the cervical fluid is, the more fertile you are. Sperm swim best in the most stringy and clear variety.
|

replied November 6th, 2009
some times that thick brown discharge is the lining of your wall...or old blood which doctors called old blood shedding. i have had it before and my dr said it was okay, every girl has different kinds of periods and it is normal
|

replied July 14th, 2010
First Period
So i had my first period the other day and i was a bit worried as it was a small amount but was brown and thick. It looked like i hadn't wiped my bottom properly Sad
The only way we knew for certain it was my period was all the aches and pain in my stomache and ovaries.
Will it go whiter and less thick?
|

replied February 10th, 2012
My first period
I just have my period, im not sure if its period but its brownish red and think and creamy. will tomorrow be more blood and when will it end??
|

replied October 22nd, 2012
TTC-Confused
hi everyone
i had sex on my ovulation days and the firwst day of my periods for the first time it was thick creamy brown the next day the blood was slightly red and very small and my periods ended and i am a usually four day person. please help i am TTC
|

replied December 4th, 2012
hi guys so I got my period [My first ever] & it just stopped. it lasted for 1 day is that okay
|
Must Read
Menstruation is a woman's normal monthly menstrual period. But what are the signs of abnormal periods? When is vaginal bleeding serious?...
Regular vaginal bleeding vagina is a sign of healthy menstruation. What signs and symptoms point to menstrual problems? Read on to learn the difference....
Menstrual irregularity means that something is wrong. Learn how to identify the signs and symptoms of an irregular period to prevent larger problems later...