User Profile
For at least 12years, I've had the cycle of the pads of my fingertips keep peeling off in sheets of skin. Suddenly i'll notice my finger pads feel like glue has dried over them so they're somewhat numb to the full feel of a surface, then in a few days the peeling process begins on some or all of the fingerpads, on either hand, usually subsequent fingers, not all fingers at same time. I'm 45 now, & tho its not painful, once the new skin is exposed its a little tender after, then soft for a week or two or month or two, but it ALWAYS reoccurs. What is causing this. I use to garden alot without gloves & contributed it to that, but i no longer garden or have hands in water. But like others, im constantly picking or biting at the skin which isnt appropriate, but its annoying how the numb skin doesnt allow things to feel right. Has ANYONE gotten any relief or a viable diagnosis. I would think its systemic since its recurring & not specific to Right or Left side or one finger or all fingers

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied August 13th, 2010
Neurological Disorders Answer A15224
Thank you for your question on ehealthforum.com

Dermatological conditions may manifest with increased exfoliation of skin in various parts of the body. Hyperkeratinization can lead to excess production of skin, which may exfoliate leaving fresh raw underlying skin. Skin allergies can also cause this problem. If you are recently in contact with any agent, then try to identify if it is causing increased peeling. Excessive contact with water can also cause that. Allergic conditions affecting only finger pads skin is not common. Neurological conditions affecting sensations can also cause exfoliative symptoms. Reynaud’s phenomenon can also be an underlying cause, which is characterized by alteration of sensation and increased sensitivity to temperature changes. A dermatological examination and opinion are mandatory in your case. Thank you.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
How can you tell if a headache is serious, or not? What types of headaches are there? Get started learning the facts about headache here....
Do you know when to seek help for headache symptoms? Learn more about symptoms of the four different types of headaches...and when to go to a doctor here....
Headaches can be caused by various medical conditions. Learn which tests doctors use to diagnose problem headaches...and who you should see to start diagnosis....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Neurological Disorders , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.