Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Skin Forum

fingers crack and bleed, the dry skin builds up

Must Read
Acne is a common skin condition - but what types of acne can a person have? Start learning about acne here....
Does chocolate or greasy food cause acne? Learn the difference between fact and who is at risk for getting acne?...
Severity of acne and symptoms vary by individual. Learn the difference between mild and sever acne here...and when you should seek medical help for acne....
User Profile
Trying to get a diagnosis! I thought psoriasis, and my PCP agreed (my dad's been diagnosed with psor., and his also presented around his nails). I have a history of joint and muscle issues (absent RH factor), Degenerative Disc Disease; PCP sent me to a Rheumatologist to confirm Psoriatic Arthritis. Well, she had no problem with arthritis, but said rash around my nails looked like eczema. Went to Derm., who said the same thing.
Here's the issue: I'm not convinced. Rash initially showed up about 2 yrs ago and would come and go. Now it's constant. No itching EVER, fingers crack and bleed, the dry skin builds up so i have no feeling in the tips of several fingers, constantly have to clip skin with cuticle clippers to feel anything.
Now, I've never had "sensitive" skin, but everything I use is soap-free/dye-free. I always use gloves when doing dishes or cleaning. Also, fingers were especially stiff,painful,swollen on initial flare up. Any ideas? How do I post a pic?

Did you find this post helpful?

User Profile
replied January 17th, 2011
Skin Answer A18593
Welcome to the ehealthforum and I am really glad to help you out. This dry skin looks more like psoriasis. Psoriasis is a long-term (chronic) skin problem that causes skin cells to grow too quickly, resulting in thick, white, silvery, or red patches of skin.

It is thought that psoriasis occurs when the immune system overreacts, causing inflammation and flaking of skin. I suggest you to get an examination done from a dermatologist to confirm the diagnosis. A biopsy skin will be the best to confirm the diagnosis. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care.

Did you find this post helpful?
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Skin , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.