I recently broke the ring finger on my left hand at a martial arts class. I had an XRay taken and my doctor buddy-taped the fractured finger to the middle finger and told me to rest the hand.

He pointed out to me a little protrusion of bone, pushing into the flesh of my hand (but not breaking skin) while he looked at my XRay and yet did nothing to push it in, or perhaps set it. Is this normal? Will the protrusion disappear on its own?

http://pictat.com/i/2013/5/10/14662img2013 051.jpg
Here is a link to a close-up of the affected digit on my XRay.

Kindly advise.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied May 10th, 2013
Especially eHealthy
Guitarista,

Sorry, but I am unable to open your link, to see the x-ray.

Unfortunately, without knowing exactly what type of fracture you have, it is not really possible to give you exact information.

There are a multitude of different types of finger fractures, and each one is treated differently.

In some cases, such as a mallet finger fracture (an avulaion fracture of the dorsal lip of the distal phalanx), there is no need to reduce the fragment.

But, in other fractures, it is important to reduce the fragment.

So, again, without knowing what type of fracture you have, it is not possible to comment.

Good luck.
|
Did you find this post helpful?
Tags: bone, left hand, skin
Quick Reply
Must Read
Think you might be experiencing bone loss? Check out this Intro to Osteoporosis and evaluate your risk for developing bone weakness. ...
Although bone mass loss is normal as we age, some people are more at risk of developing osteoporosis than others. Are you at risk? More here....
Do you have severe back pain? Do your bones break frequently or with little pressure? You might be experiencing osteoporosis. Found out more here....