Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Multiple Sclerosis Forum

findings point to a neuro condition like MS or something

User Profile
Hi, I'm hoping someone can help me. I have several symptoms and physical exam findings that point to a neuro condition like MS or something but normal MRI. I suffer with episodes of headaches, eye pain, visual disturbance/problems, stuttering/trouble talking and trouble thinking, constipation,sexual problems, trouble starting to urinate at times, severe muscle stiffness/weakness after sitting or lying down breifly,horrible itching episodes in which i feel like things are crawing on me. fatigue and mood changes. on phiysical exam they have noticed a left side drift in my arm and some abnormal reflexes along with optic nerve thinning. I had an MRI but all it showed was a small fatty tumor they said isnt causing problems no other tessts. eye doctor really thinks it is neuro degenertive said lesions dont always show up and sending me to neuroopthamalogist. My symtptoms come and go for days to weeks on end are worse when in heat, menses, exercise and even certain foods. any ideas please

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied May 18th, 2015
Multiple Sclerosis Answer A52212
Hi,
Welcome to the ehealthforum and I am glad to help you out.

I can understand your concern for these symptoms. If you have normal MRI, it is very unlikely that you have multiple sclerosis as areas of demyelination often appear on MRI.

If your doctor's are suspecting neurodegenerative diseases like motor neuron disease then you need to consult a neurologist an get certain investigations done. These include electromygoraphy and nerve conduction velocity testing (NCV). However for your symptoms it is important to rule out other causes like vitamin D deficiency and vitamin B 12 deficiency as well. For the same, I suggest you to get your vitamin B12 and vitamin D levels estimated.
You also need to get an ophthalmic examination done to rule out any optic nerve thinning.

It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
Quick Reply
Must Read
Multiple sclerosis (MS) affects the brain and the spinal cord. But what is MS? And what types of MS do doctors diagnose? Basic facts on multiple sclerosis here....
Doctors know little about what causes multiple sclerosis (MS), but do understand the anatomy of the condition. Read one to learn about what happens during MS....
Symptoms of multiple sclerosis can be present during other medical conditions. Learn to identify early symptoms of multiple sclerosis, plus when to seek help....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Multiple Sclerosis , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.