Medical Questions > Cancer > Breast Cancer Forum

Finding a primary care doctor

I have a doctor who is so scornful of my alternative med methods which are being administered by a holistic M.D. in another state. I need to have a PC to order tests, etc. and this is not the one. I don't know where to begin to find one that will be more open to my treatment plan. Any ideas? I'm on Cape Cod in Mass. and have breast cancer.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied June 26th, 2011
If you are undergoing complementary therapy in addition to standard therapy for your breast cancer, then most physicians and oncologists will have no issue with that. On the other hand, if you have chosen not to undergo standard treatment for your breast cancer, in favor of alternative therapy, then your physician or/and oncologist may indeed feel uncomfortable in playing following you for your breast cancer.

You can certainly ask your doctor for a referral to another physician. (Also, your health insurance company or your state medical society may be able to recommend another physician to you.)

Sincerely,

Robert A. Wascher, MD, FACS

www.doctorwascher.com

Author, "A Cancer Prevention Guide for the Human Race"

A landmark, evidence-based guide to a healthy cancer-prevention lifestyle, based on cutting-edge cancer research.
|

User Profile
replied June 28th, 2011
Experienced User
Tips to avoid the drama
The are websites where people rate their MDs. People on these sites are brutally honest. That's how I found my GP.

If you have chosen alternative therapy instead of complementary therapy, doctors are very sensitive and will have a temper tantrum if they know you do not take drugs. What I learned to do is not mention it all.

Simply ask for the tests and avoid having any conversation about conventional medicine VS alternative medicine. Still, always be prepared with a list of solid scientific reasons why you made the choice to use alternative medicine.

respect Also, always be polite and be sure to give him/her a couple of compliments. i.e "your patients speak so highly of you..blah blah blah". It is important to play the game and stroke the ego first. After you do that, he/she will most likely bend over backwards for you.
|

replied June 28th, 2011
The greatest news! I have discovered that a holistic doctor right here on Cape Cod is actually a 22 yr BC survivor who did all naturally! I had thought of this woman as a holistic cardioligist as I know folks who see her for high BP, post treatment for cardiac events, etc., but in contacting her for referral, I find she acts as primary care provider for many of her patients. I will, of course, have to pay out of pocket but may be able to submit for reimbursement to my insurance. Or, I may have to switch insurance as I have the option of two military coverages.
The delightful part is that she is in Yarmouthport, about 5 miles from my home - not 5 hours! Her name is Katherine Soly if there is anyone in southeastern Massachusetts wondering if there's anyone out there for them.
As for my current primary care... she's fired. I cannot educate her, I will not placate her or continue to endure her eye-rolling and scorn. I realize now that there are enlightened people and some who are not so enlightened, among both patients and doctors.
I'll continue to see Dr Schachter in Suffern NY for the IV therapies if I cannot get the same somewhere closer. These start with peroxide, then another drip with Vitamin C, EDTA, DMSO and a few other things. I find only one doctor in Massachusetts using IV therapy and it's just Vitaminc C and a few other nutrients. I'll keep up the search.
My neighbor is an 18 yr BC patient who also did it naturally. She went through just what I am to find the right practitioner and that doc left the Cape 15 years ago for Oregon so he could practice Alternative Medicine more freely. She is so thrilled with my discovery and will now also be seing Dr Soly!
It's a good week!
Good luck to all in building the exact right team for your journey!
|
Must Read
Breast cancer kills more women in the United States than any cancer except lung cancer. But what types of breast cancer are possible?...
Why do some women get breast cancer and others don't? Click here to learn what risks you can avoid....
Do you know the warning signs for breast cancer? When should you see your doctor about possible breast cancer symptoms? More information here....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Breast Cancer , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.