Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Hair Loss, Hair Disorders Forum

finasteride? concerned about the much touted side effects

User Profile
Hi Doctor,

I've suffered from Male pattern baldness for almost 10 years now. It's been a major psychological hit on my confidence and lifestyle. A failed transplant and some severe emotional personal experiences later my hair has now thinned considerably. I've researched on finasteride but am concerned about the much touted side effects. Would you recommend it to arrest and regrow my hair lost in the past 24 months?

Thank you.

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied December 10th, 2012
Hair Loss, Hair Disorders Answer A40911
Hello,

Welcome to ehealthforum and thanks for writing

Male pattern baldness is mainly genetic but sometimes hormonal imbalance like overproduction of dihydrotestosterone and thyroid hormones irregularities also play an important role.

There are many medications to improve hair loss like finasteride, dutasteride and topically applied minoxidil but these are available only under prescription and after ruling out the other causes of hair loss.
Regarding the investigations which can be done to confirm the cause of hair loss, some of the important ones to be done are:
1)Iron studies and thyroid function tests
2)Testosterone and dihydrotestosterone levels
3)Trichoscopy (in this hair and scalp structures may be visualized at many-fold magnification)
4)Scalp biopsy.

I suggest you to consult a trichologist and get these investigations done so that medications can be prescribed accordingly. Give your diet an overhaul if you're lacking vital nutrients for growth and switch to foods for healthy hair like food rich in protein, vitamins(mainly vit A and vit C) and other micronutrient like zinc, iron and copper.

Take care!

|
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
Hair loss affects more than half of the population by age 60. Start here for basic info on hair loss and types of hair loss that doctors can diagnose....
What causes hair loss? Read on for a complete list of possible causes so that you can evaluate and identify hair loss causes....
Do you know the early signs of hair loss? And when does hair loss require medical attention? Get better results for treating hair loss by identifying it early....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Hair Loss, Hair Disorders , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.