Medical Questions > Cancer > Bone Cancer Forum

Fibromyalgia and bone cancer?

My boyfriend's soon-to-be-ex-wife has fibromyalgia and some other health problems(schizophrenia, anxiety, and others I cant remember). She is off her schizo medicine and is claiming to have bone cancer. Can fibromyalgia lead to bone cancer? My boyfriend doesn't know whether to believe her or not. Her mother did die of cancer(not sure what kind). What leads to bone cancer?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied August 21st, 2012
From what I've read, primary malignant bone cancer is rare, it is usually cancer in another part of the body that is the orgin then it spreads to the bone.
|

User Profile
replied August 27th, 2012
Especially eHealthy
kscarpetta01,

Fibromyalgia does not cause bone cancer or any other cancer for that matter.

As tdblater stated, primary bone cancer is very rare. It has a bimodal distribution, in terms of age of onset. It is much more common in the very young and very old. The exact cause of primary bone cancer is not known. It is known that some bone cancers may have a hereditary component. Exposure to high dose radiation therapy or to certain anticancer chemo drugs may precipitate the formation of primary bone cancer.

Secondary bone cancer is much more common. This occurs when the patient has a cancer somewhere else in the body and it metastasizes to the bone. The cancers that most commonly metastasize to bone are the “PT Barnum Loves Kids” - Prostate, Thyroid, Breast, Liver, and Kidney. (That’s the only way I can remember it.)

However, while all patients have to be taken seriously when they present with medical complaints (even those with schizophrenia and other mental illnesses), it often takes a lot of medical dollars to prove where or not these patients actually do have anything going on. It is a difficult situation.

But, fibromyalgia does NOT cause cancer. While there is still a debate as if fibromyalgia is actually a separate disorder, it is considered a condition which does need treatment. The cause of fibromyalgia is still not known. Though it is thought to be due to the overexcitement of nerves in the central nervous system, causing widespread pain. There are no tests for fibromyalgia, it is based totally on the patient’s description of her symptoms. While certain physical findings supposedly have to be present for the diagnosis to be made (such as certain trigger points), most of the time, if a patient comes in with widespread pain, they are tagged with the diagnosis of fibromyalgia.

Sorry to hear about your boyfriend’s problems.
|

replied November 16th, 2012
Hi,
I have fibromyalgia.
And bone cancer (2007), primary bonecancer, very rare indeed.
Fibromyalgia does NOT cause cancer!!!!
But one can have both conditions, and the only way to be sure is to read the report of the biopsy. Before a biopsy or surgical removal of the tumor + lab report one is NOT certain of the diagnose!
Please ask for the lab report or contact her doctor, go with her to the onco-ortho-doctor. It seems too much for one person, seems unbelievable, but suppose she was right and you didn't believe it, that you would regret all your life. The other way 'round is unhealthy for her, she needs help either way.
|
Must Read
Fibromyalgia causes pain in the body. Learn the basic facts about fibromylagia and how doctors define this syndrome here....
Are people diagnosed with fibromyalgia born with a lower tolerance for pain? Are you at more or less risk of fibromyalgia? More info and causes and risk here....
Symptoms of fibromyalgia can be mistaken for other conditions. Can you identify common signs and symptoms of fibromyalgia?...