Medical Questions > Mental Health > Bipolar Relationships Forum

fiance is bipolar, but will not take medication... (Page 1)

User Profile
Please help! My fiance is bipolar, but will not take medication. He says he cannot find one that works for him. Lately, he will pick fights with me over anything and everything. Lately, we've gotten into fights over a new job that I accepted, the people I work with, even the fact that I talk about the new job and new friends I've made. He will fight with me about his ex, telling me I'm jealous and out of control. He barely leaves his computer , which usually happens when he gets "crazy" (as he puts it). Now he's saying he doesn't know if he wants to marry me and all I do is nag him, and he doesn't care about me. I do everything I can for him when he gets like this, because I'm scared of a big fight and the mean things he says when he's manic. He is a wonderful, loving man, except for when he gets like this. How long does the negativity and anger last? This has happened before, but it just keeps getting worse. Should I leave? Seems he wants that, then he apologizes and begs me to stay.

Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper User Profile Camper247
|

User Profile
replied October 14th, 2011
Bipolar Relationships Answer A27687
Hi,
Welcome to the ehealthforum and I am glad to help you out.

In bipolar disorder, sometimes there are mixed episodes in which features of both mania and depression are present at the same time and in some people, depression and mania may rapidly alternate, which is known as rapid cycling.

You should talk to your psychiatrist about your finance, get him examined and get treatmnet prescribed. Apart from that, he should try doing regular physical exercise by joining a gym. Exercise is of paramount importance because it releases endorphins from the body. He should not indulge in any drinking or substance abuse. Also he should start reading good books, employing relaxation techniques like meditation, spending time in your favorite activities and interacting with people. Communicating and discussing feelings is an integral part of treatment and will help with recovery.

It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
Quick Reply
Must Read
Learn the basics about mental disorders, including risk factors, diagnosis, and treatment options. ...
Learn about risk factors to developing a mental health condition. ...
Learn about screening and diagnosis options available for mental conditions....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Bipolar Relationships , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.