Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Cold, Flu and Viral Infections Forum

fever, throat feels really sore. It's painful to swallow...

I am an 18 year old male currently serving the army and I have some questions regarding an illness that has been bothering me in the last few days.

It started with some fever and fatigue, and a general weakness, I thought maybe because of the cold that I got the flu again (third time in 5 months). I took some ibuprofen to get some relief.

The symptoms were the same the next day except the fever was a bit higher, and I had a sore throat. I took some "Comtrex cold" tablets as the doctor prescribed last time I visited him.

On the third day I wake up at 5 am to throw up. I felt a bit better after vommitting but one hour later I threw up again. Same goes for the next one hour except I also had a bowel movement. I visited the toilet again for the last time one hour later to vomit again and have a diarrhea. Then I got the idea that I had gastroenteritis.

I spent the rest of day three battling my fever with lukewarm showers, applying cold water on my head etc.

I am now at the fourth day,starting to feel better. Fever is low or stops at some times, but my throat feels really sore. It's painful to swallow my mucus, and while I'm eating I feel like the food is scratching my throat when it slides down my throat. My neck feels stiff and painful to turn left and right.

I bought some ciprofloxacin in case it's a bacterial infection and not a viral one, but did not take them yet. What do you think is my problem and what medications should I take for it?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied December 30th, 2012
Especially eHealthy
johnamw,

You really need to see a physician and let him/her determine what is going on with you. Treatment with antibiotics should only be done under the direction of a physician.

Unfortunately, the indiscriminate, over, and improper use of antibiotics has led to the development of antibiotic resistant strains of bacteria. As such, the bacteria no longer respond to the usual treatments, and in some cases, do not respond to any antibiotics.

So, before using any antibiotics, you should really see if you need them or not.

If you are getting better, it is most likely that you had one of the many viruses that are going around. If you had a bacterial infection, like a Strep throat, it would not get better on its own.

Good luck. Hope you are feeling better soon.
|
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
The common cold is probably the most well known illness known to man. But did you know that it's a virus? Read to learn the basics about cold here....
How do you get a cold? And what causes the cold? Learn more about causes of the cold, and risk factors that you can avoid to prevent this illness....
You probably know many of the symptoms of a cold: sneezing, sore throat, a stuffy nose, and coughing. Do you know the difference between the flu vs. a cold?...