Medical Questions > Parenting > Preteens Forum

Fever from molars ?

My 9 year old daughter had a fever 3 weeks ago, which lasted four days. We noted a small red rash on the side of her cheek at the time, but the doctor felt she had a stomache virus (she threw up one time, after taking medicine). Yesterday her fever returned, without vomiting. She says other than an achy head she feels ok, just hot and cold of course. But I've noticed the rash again, in the exact same spot. She says that she feels as though a tooth is pushing up through her gum behind her baby molars. I know she is rather young for her first adult molars but she has bloomed early in other areas. Does anyone know if this is a common occurance, to grow the first adult molars at age 9, and to have persistent fever while it is pushing up? It has not evidenced eruption, I can only go by the rash and what my child tells me. I would appreciate any responses.

Thanks,
D.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied June 18th, 2009
Community Volunteer
I haven't heard of this before, but it doesn't mean that it can't happen. It is probably coincidental that she is experiencing such pains/fevers. Did you take her to a dentist? It is possible too that her tooth could have a problem that only a dentist, not an MD would be able to detect.

If she really is getting molars, which is possible even at her young age, they could be cutting through the bone and starting to push upwards. Increasing her intake of calcium rich foods or a calcium supplement will help.
|
Users who thank mominashoe for this post: Fairy Godmother 

User Profile
replied June 18th, 2009
Supporter
Van, WONDER WOMAN strikes again....you never cease to AMAZE me with your wit! Wanted to send you a greeting but it wouldn't let me....know I'm thinking about you!
I totally agree with mominashoe!
|

replied September 26th, 2010
My Child is Five and getting adult molars, so its not too soon. The main difference between teething pain and ear infection pain is that teething pain seems to diminish at times: pain from ear infection worsens. The other very important symptom of an ear infection is fever: fever begins, climbs and worsens. Some children may run a low, intermittent fever while teething, but it shouldnt get worse and should never be high. Doctors are of divided opinion on the issue of teething fever: some say it's totally unrelated to teething and others say it can happen. The fact is that some children do run a low fever when teething and others don't. But if your child has a climbing fever, don't assume it's the teething: go to the pediatrician. The vomitting seems suspicious. bottom line, when in doubt, see a doctor.
|