hey people. I have a quick question. I am male aged 23 and I am worried about my ability to have children as I caught Chlymadia a couple years ago and was unsure how long I had the STD for. I tried to look up male fertility tests to see how I go about checking this but I keep coming across home test kits. Is it possible to get this done by a GP or is the home kits recommended? It's not really something I want to do by myself and would much prefer it to be done in the hands of a professional. Any advice?

Did you find this post helpful?

User Profile
replied January 17th, 2010
Welcome to the ehealthforum and I am really glad to help you out. Chlamydial infection of the genital tract of men leads to the presence both white blood cells and of antichlamydial antibodies in semen. This can cause male infertility. It is not compulsory that you need to do the tests only by home kits.

I would suggest you to consult a fertility expert or a sexual and venereal diseases expert and get a semen analysis done. A semen analysis measures the amount of semen a man produces and determines the number and quality of sperm in the semen. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care.

Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
If you're experiencing difficult conceiving, you are not alone. Learn how doctors define infertility and how infertility affects both men and women here....
Many things cause fertility problems. Learn common causes of infertility for men and women here, plus info on factors that affect the ability to conceive....
Sometimes fertility do not manifest any symptoms. Other times there are definite signs. Learn to identify possible problems and know when to ask for help....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Fertility , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.