Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Heart Disease and Heart Attack Forum

female teen getting a ventricular assist device, freaked...

User Profile
After going through a crapload of tests and an episode of cardiac arrest I was diagnosed with heart failure and now getting a ventricular assist device pretty soon. Being a female teen I'm pretty freaked out about the surgery for it, what to wear with it, and whether its ok to still work and do things and how painful or uncomfortable it is. Any info on living with it or the surgery would be great ^_^
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied July 30th, 2012
You state that you are "a female teen" who has had a cardiac arrest and is now diagnosed with heart failure. Is the ventricular assist device in preparation for cardiac transplant surgery? What you report strongly suggests some kind of congenital cardiac problem, and the information you provide is therefore not sufficient for me to make any suggestions. I do hope that you will do well.
Please be aware that I am unable to diagnose medical conditions online.

An easy-to-read book about the heart for lay persons. Available at major online book retailers and other fine bookstores.
|

User Profile
replied August 1st, 2012
Yes it is a bridge for a transplant. Its not congenital, it developed slowly over the last couple years and got really bad from june till now, but they never done as many tests as they did and they noticed my heart was a bit deformed and since my brother died of heart failure around my age now (im 17 now, he was 1Cool and having bad reactions to medications in addion to the things previously mentioned the doc said this will be the best option.
|
Must Read
What happens during a heart attack? Get heart attack facts here....
What causes a heart attack? Are women more likely than men to have a heart attack? We review the risk factors and causes of heart attack here....
Can you identify early signs and symptoms of a heart attack? Are women heart attack symptoms different than men? Click here to learn when to seek help....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Heart Disease and Heart Attack , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.