Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Back Pain Forum

Fell days ago, now having back pain and swelling. Serious?

I'm 30, male, 6'3", 230lbs. I slipped on a wet cardboard lying around on a steep street in the dark, fell, rolled over, landed on my rips and back pretty brutally. Immediately I didn't experience much pain except for some in the rips region. This was three days ago. The following days I was experiencing pain in the back and rips region while sleeping or coughing or sometimes even breathing. I can walk normally and all but now I'm mostly having pain in the mid part of my back, though only really when I have to cough or sneeze or when I inhale deeply. Until now I didn't care too much because I read that back contusions cannot really be treated anyway. But now I just discovered that there is a knobbly, slightly reddish swelling in the middle of my back (approximately at the lower end of the right trapezius muscle) which looks weirdly protruding. The pain seems to get slightly more intense over the days, especially in bed when turning around etc. I'm concerned whether this could possibly be a back fracture or something else actually serious which should be treated to avert permanent damage.
My question would be: Is it even possible that this is a serious injury or specifically a fracture when I'm mostly feeling fine?
I understand that one doesn't want to give potentially risky medical advice on the Internet, so with limited information there is probably a tendency to rather err on the side of caution, but I'm really interested in a realistic assessment because I have limited resources and try to avoid nonessential treatment.
Thank you very much.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied November 3rd, 2014
Thank you for asking

The time you took in writing this elaborated masterpiece, could have been enough to get you to ER and get a simple radiograph to assess the damage of trauma and rule out any collection or slipped disc or fracture.

Its never too late. Just some radiographs visit ER and let them take care of it. it will be managed conservatively if no fracture with NSAIDs and physiotherapy and if need be surgical intervention to drain any hematoma or collection. Thats it.

Take care

|
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
What structures make up the spine? We review basic spine anatomy here...before identifying potential causes of back pain....
Click here to learn about the most common causes of back pain, and things that increase your risk of backache. We cover lower back pain and upper back pain....
Back pain symptoms may seem obvious. But do you know when symptoms of back pain are more serious or when to see a doctor? Learn what action to take & when...
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Back Pain , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.