Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Broken Bones Forum

fell and broke both leg bones pretty badly.

Hello! Three weeks ago I fell and broke both leg bones pretty badly. Spiral fracture thay required immediate surgery with two plates and 14 screws. This has been horrible for me. Pain is out of control. I have to keep it elevated at all times because swelling is horrible. My toes feel like they are being lit on fire at all times. I cant get any help out seems from either my doctor who just refers back to surgeon or from surgeon who says everything is ok. So today I went in 3 weeks after surgery and they removed cast. I'm not to put weight on it but it's exposed which is causing all kinds of other pain. My bone feels so unstable and hurts badly and my incisions which are 6 inches on one side and 12 on other are on fire. My ankle is black and blue and hurts badly from foot just hanging there. I've been told this is normal and will get better but everyone I know is freaking out that it's not casted splinted or anything. Were all scared of reinjury. What do I do? There's not another surgeon in my area so I don't have that option and I'm scared! Any advise would be helpful
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied October 31st, 2014
Experienced User
McMorgan6 -
I am so sorry about your accident! I can completely relate to what you’re going through, but for me it was 17 months ago. I was in a severe ATV accident; requiring emergency surgery where they put the IM Nail into the tibia, and a week hospital stay. Three days later, I got a severe infection from the surgery, and was a very sick person.

The pain is truly unbearable, and all the symptoms you’re experiencing is pretty common with the nature of the injuries. I’ve had three surgeries in 14 months, and now at 17 months post, feel much better, I can finally walk, and not have that pain I had for so long. Unfortunately, I will always have problems simply because of the injuries sustained in my wreck. Check your inbox messages on the forums for more info.

Take care ~Becca
|

Oh wow that's horrible. I'm mostly scared because I'm out of cast or any type of covering 3 weeks out! I don't think it's normal and the pain has gotten worse since removal
|

User Profile
Experienced User
I never had a cast and my leg was severally displaced in the tibia and the fibula. Two breaks in the tib, and one in in the fibula. Read the your inbox for more info.
|