Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Chest Pain Forum

feels like twisting or stabbing in my chest?

User Profile
my chest has been hurting like in the middle and it is worse when i breath.it doesn't happen all the time. sometimes it feels like something is twisting and other times it feel like someone is stabbing me in the chest. i have talking to my parents and they say it from stress but i hardly ever stress my self out about things.what could this be?

Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper User Profile DoctorQuestion
|

User Profile
replied March 19th, 2012
Chest Pain Answer A32944
Welcome to e health forum.

The main causes of chest pain at your age include: ‎
‎1. Cardiac chest pain causes :- Carditis, pericarditis
‎2. Respiratory causes :- Pneumonia,
‎3. Gastrointestinal causes :- Gastro-oesophageal reflux, esophageal spasm
‎4. Musculoskeletal pain :- costochondritis, trauma to the chest wall
‎5. Psychological causes: Anxiety, depression, Panic attacks, etc. ‎

Musculoskeletal inflammatory pain can be diagnosed if the pain ‎‎increases on ‎‎specific movements or ‎‎‎‎on direct pressure on the affected area. Such cases of mild pain, subside on its own with rest. If ‎needed anti inflammatory ‎medications like aspirin or Ibuprofen 400 mg can be ‎‎‎taken upto three ‎times a day, to relieve the pain.‎

You might consult with your doctor if the symptoms persist and get a few tests including a Chest X ray, to diagnose the underlying cause.

Treatment of the underlying cause can help resolution of your symptoms.

I hope this helps.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
Must Read
What is pneumonia? Learn basic facts about pneumonia here, plus how doctors define the different types of pneumonia that people can get....
Some people are more at risk of getting pneumonia than others. Are you one of them? Learn more about how you get pneumonia and who is at risk here....
Chest pain is typical during cases of pneumonia. But what other signs and symptoms should you look for? Know when to seek medical help by starting here....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Chest Pain , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.