Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Allergies Forum

Feels like throat is closing

Not sure which forum to post this question in...I have an appt anyway with my doctor but it is in a month and a half and I'd like some answers before then if possible. Sometimes at night it feels like there is a heaviness in my chest, it feels like I can't get a full clear breath, when I am able to finally fall asleep it feels like my throat closes and I wake up with my heart pounding because it feels like I quit breathing. Last night I barely slept at all and even tried to sleep partially sitting up. I know it is not a panic attack but I am wondering if it is either an allergy to either food or pollen, or if it is perhaps asthma. I took a loratadine (Claritin) and eventually was able to sleep but I don't know if that was because it worked or because I just got so overtired. I am feeling it again and it is time for bed soon and I am dreading it Sad This has happened to me before, last year, it lasted for days and days before going away on it's own. (Last time it also involved a lot of phlegm in my throat. Every morning of my life there is a little phlegm in my throat, it is something I am used to needing to get out each morning and then I go on, no big deal. When this happens, or if I have a cold, it always gets worse.)
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied July 30th, 2013
I had similar symptoms of heaviness in my chest, it was really awful, I experienced it exactly as you do! difficult breathing... and was diagnosed with asthma. (asthma as a result of a food allergy) In the meanwhile it helps to sleep on a higher pillow and you can ask your pharmacists for an over the counter inhalator such as contains salbutamol, it really brings a lot of relieve. It yours happens at a certain time of the year, it is probably non-food related, rather pollen. Loratadine helps a bit when its pollen related, I find it helps a lot for me when I have watery nose and eyes due to pollen. It also assists me with the phlegm issue. All the best.
|
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
What causes allergies? We review risk factors and common allergens in this intro to allergies section....
What causes an allergy? Who is more likely to develop allergies? More here....
Which allergy symptoms are serious signs of allergic reaction and which are merely bothersome? Common types of allergy symptoms and allergic reactions here....