Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Abdominal Pain Forum

feels like a bubble under my rib cage?

Must Read
Abdominal pain and bellyaches are common. Though most cases of abdominal pain aren't serious, sometimes you will need to see a doctor. We’ll review some of...
Abdominal pain can be uncomfortable but is very common. But when is pain in the abdomen serious? Learn how to describe your symptoms more accurately so that yo...
It's important to "know your pain" to help your doctor diagnose the reason behind abdominal pain. Read on for more tools and information about how to diagnose ...
User Profile
I've been experiencing some discomfort in my left abdomen. It feels like there's a bubble under or on my left rib cage, although there are no visible signs. It isn't a sharp pain, but is definitely noticeable. This normally occurs at night, particularly after having exercised (which I do at least 3 times a week) and can make it difficult to breathe. I find myself constantly shifting positions to get more comfortable. I drink alcohol and eat spicy food fairly regularly, but have had no difficulties going to the bathroom. Is there cause for concern? I don't have a lot of money at the moment, so I'm very reluctant to go to the doctor.

Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper User Profile DoctorQuestion

User Profile
replied November 21st, 2011
Abdominal Pain Answer A28757

Welcome to the forum and I am really glad to help you out. From your symptoms it looks like gastrointestinal reflux disease(GERD). First of all avoid eating any junk food or oily, spicy food. Take a healthy,balanced and nutritious diet consisting more of fruits, salads, soups and raw vegetables(after proper washing).

Also increase the protein content in your diet instead of carbohydrates and fats. An advice from a dietician will be helpful. Take some OTC antacid like Mylanta. If the symptoms persist then please consult a physician and get pancreatic and gall bladder disease ruled out.

I sincerely hope that helps. Take care.

Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Abdominal Pain , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.