Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Gland Disorders Forum

feeling worse and worse taking levothyroxine

User Profile
I have been taking levothyroxine 50 mcg once every morning and i am feeling worse and worse everyday.My doctor says it will take more than 2 weeks to start feeling better. Isn't there something else i can take? This medicine is making me feel worse. As of this post i have been taking this medicine for 11 days.

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied February 19th, 2014
Gland Disorders Answer A46021
Thank you for asking!
Usually the Levothyroxine is advised at 1.7 mcg per kg and that dosage shows effect in 3 to 5 days with levelling of hormonal axis in 4-6 weeks. Now you have been provided in low dosages because of your heart disease history and geriatric age limits so it is taking more than usual time to adjust the hypothalamus and pituitary axis thus resulting in all the symptoms you mentioned.
The most you can do is to increase the intake of iodine upto 150-200 microgram to help.
and avoiding activities that can lead to injury as this condition increases the response time by slowing it.
Stay in touch with your endocrinologist for further management.
Take care

|
Did you find this post helpful?
Quick Reply
Must Read
What does it mean to have low levels of thyroid hormone in the body? We outline how doctors define hypothyroidism here....
What medical conditions cause hypothyroidism? And what puts you at risk of developing these conditions? More hypothyroid basics here....
When are symptoms of hypothyroidism serious? When should you seek medical help. Click here to learn when doctors recommend you come in for a visit....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Gland Disorders , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.