User Profile
i often have a feeling of shortness of breath and most of the time this feeling is relieved when i push my stomach and i can burp so i can find that my breathing returns to normal. my problem is i feel this everyday and it makes me afraid.what could this be and how can i make this go away? pls help.

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied November 29th, 2010
Digestive and Bowel Disorders Answer A17421
Hi, welcome to the ehealth forum and I am glad to help you.
You seem concerned by dyspepsia and indigestion symptoms.
You have complaint of feeling of shortness of breath which is relieved on pushing the stomach and burping when the breathing returns to normal.It is commonly a feature of indigestion with dyspepsia like symptoms of upper abdominal discomfort and gas in chest or back. Other symptoms may be postprandial fullness, bloating, belching and early satiety.
Various causes for this feeling of indigestion include functional dyspepsia, GERD (gastroesophageal reflux disease), ulcer disease due to gastric infection with H.pylori or use of NSAIDs, biliary colic due to gall bladder disease, intestinal lactase deficiency, other carbohydrate intolerance syndromes, gastroesophageal malignancy, heart disease etc.
Upper endoscopy is performed as the initial diagnostic test in patients with unexplained dyspepsia who are >45 years old, have alarm factors, or are on NSAIDs because of increased risk of malignancy and ulcer in these groups. Once this is ruled out, general lifestyle changes like low fat diet, avoidance of snacks before bedtime, and elevation of the head end of bed may be helpful. However as most indigestion and gas like feeling is caused by GERD or functional dyspepsia, medications that reduce gastric acid secretion and stimulate motility may be initiated in consultation with your physician .
Hope this helps. Take care.
Note: This post is not to emphasise final diagnosis as the same cannot be made online and is aimed just to provide medical information and no treatment suggested above be taken without face to face consultation with health care professional.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
Feeling constipated? Do you know how constipation is medically defined? Get the basics on this common gastrointestinal complaint here....
Are you experiencing severe or chronic constipation? Learn about causes of constipation here....
Constipation is defined differently by different people. Learn to identify signs and symptoms of constipation and know when to ask for medical help....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Digestive and Bowel Disorders , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.