Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Acid Reflux Forum

Feeling of something stuck in throat caused by acid reflux?

Hello

For the past week and a half ive had the feeling of something stuck in my throat, this was after eating some chocolate peanuts, a few days after with this feeling my upper stomach starts to ache when ever I eat, this ache sensation also radiates to my back, im also burping a lot more then I used to.

I also am on anti depressents which since September has been increased. I also not the calmest of people and tend to worry a lot.

ive been to the doctors today who wasn't sure what it was it is organizing for me to have the camera put into my stomach to have a look if anythings going on.

has any one had these symptoms before or have an idea what can it be?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied February 13th, 2014
Experienced User
These symptoms you describe are actually quite common for those of us with acid reflux.
The lump in your throat feeling is probably globus pharyngeus. There is a great website explaining this which I'm constantly directing people to. Unfortunately the admin of this site do not like links posted as they suspect spam (which it isn't) so send me a Private Message if you want the link. But Globus is associated with anxiety and stress.

The stomach pains which may be referred to other parts of the abdomen and chest may well be from excess acid. And burping to release excess gases may also be an indicator.
If you're not already, you will probably need to be taking acid suppressants (eg omeparzole) to reduce the acid being produced. (And stress and anxiety can increase acid production.)

The endoscpy your doctors arranging will make sure no permanent damage has been done and provide a better rationale for a treatment regimen.
But also discuss with your doctor or a pharmacist whether the anti-depressants you're on could increase stomach acid.
|

replied February 22nd, 2014
Ok bit of an update, my appointment is due this Tuesday coming so fingers crossed its nothing bad.
Another thing I thought about today is my diet, recently I started a new job and also have started drinking coffee ( I never used to drink it till I started my new job). I've been having up to 6 cups of coffee with 2 some times 3 tea spoons of coffee for a month, when I mentioned this to my mother she said she wasn't surprised about me having stomach issues. Upon doing a bit of research it seems coffee is an acidic drink , is it possible that the symptoms I have been getting could be caused by my coffee intake, I have now also learnt how to make coffee not strong and have limited my self to 2 cups a day Monday till Friday.
|

User Profile
replied February 23rd, 2014
Experienced User
Good luck for Tuesday. Hopefully your doctor will give you dietary advice as there are many possible trigger foods and coffee is one of them.

We are all different so what foods affect us vary from person to person. You will need to keep a food diary to discover the particular foods that cause you problems.
Typically these may include the following:
Citrus fruit, tomatoes, alcohol, coffee, chocolate, soda pop, animal fats.
When you discover your trigger foods, you'll know what to cut down on.

All the ebst
Chris
|

replied February 24th, 2014
is it possible that coffee could of damaged or irritated the lining of my stomach due to the strength of coffee? thanks for the message robichris Smile

I will keep this post updated after the result as well.
|

User Profile
replied February 24th, 2014
Experienced User
I doubt it will have caused a problem to your stomach lining, Mick.
The main problem of coffee is the caffeine which can relax the lower esophageal sphincter facilitating reflux.
|

replied February 25th, 2014
good news

ive had the test done and said it looks like acid reflux, the test it self wasn't that bad and the staff that performed the test where fantastic. needless to say a bit weight off me. thanks robichris for your help Smile
|
Must Read
Almost everyone experience heartburn or acid indigestion at times. But what is acid reflux and how could it cause more serious problems?...
Can you tell the difference between common heartburn symptoms and signs of more serious digestive problems? Learn when and how to take action for acid reflux....
Heartburn is common, but it is not trivial. It's important to diagnose and treat heartburn or acid reflux as early as possible. Review diagnostic procedure now...