Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Mononucleosis Forum

Feeling fatigue with mononucleosis

User Profile
after seeing 3 doctors, i was diagnosed with mono in sept 2008. by then the test showed i was in the convalescent phase. i had a swollen gland in the back of my neck that june. the fatigue started then headaches, etc but what was really disturbing was the night time convulsive type jerks. this is when the mono entered my nervous system causing vaginal/rectal spasms and pain, twitches from head to toe, tingling etc. anyway to make a very long story short, i started feeling better a few months out but it has been off and on. right now i am having fatigue days that are getting closer together and i am tired every day. this makes me down and emotional which is not like me. i think it may be time to revisit my neurologist who discovered the mono. i seem to be feeling worse these days. is this normal and do you think it will resolve with time? i am worried it may lead to something else.

thanks,
lisa

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied April 12th, 2010
Mononucleosis Answer A11220
Hi and welcome to the forum! I am glad that I can help you.

You want to know whether it is normal to feel fatigue when experiencing mononucleosis.

Mononucleosis (mono) is a contagious infective disease caused by the Epstein-Barr virus. The virus is transmitted through saliva. The virus affects the liver and the spleen and has a characteristic blood count (increased monocytes). It is characterized with the following symptoms fatigue, fever, headache, loss of appetite, night sweats, skin rash, soft and swollen spleen, sore throat, swollen lymph nodes in your neck and armpits, swollen tonsils and weakness. It may lead to the following complications: jaundice, enlargement of the spleen, and even rarer complications such as encephalitis (brain inflammation).

Given the data that you described, you may have experienced the twitches and the tingling sensations due to increased body temperature. Certain individuals respond to increased body temperature with seizure-like twitches of the muscles. You may consider seeing neurologist to rule out or to confirm encephalitis or seizure-like changes. The recovery from mono may take several weeks due to lesion of the liver during which individuals may experience fatigue. You may consider taking antibiotics if you experience additional (secondary) bacterial infection.

Please keep in mind that I provide medical information only. I am not able to diagnose medical conditions online. Please contact your doctor for further advice and information about diagnosis and treatment options.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
Must Read
Is mononucleosis bacterial or viral? Does everyone get mono at some time? How does mono spread? Basic facts and definitions about "the kissing disease". ...
Do you know what causes mono? Although children are more at risk than adults,what can you do to avoid getting sick from mono? Review risk factors here....
The symptoms of mono may not manifest for everyone who contracts the Epstein-Barr virus. But when are symptoms serious? And when should you seek medical help?...
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Mononucleosis , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.