User Profile
Electric impulses. I have experienced this only but a few times in my 46 years. I would be laying down and before going to sleep an impulse of electricity would zap through my body, or at least that is what it sounds like and instantly i would see a flash of white in my eyes, like lightning. has aliens made me their test dummy? lol
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper User Profile dorrityd
|

User Profile
replied April 15th, 2014
Thank you for asking!
your electric impulse presentation of your situation is quite vague. it could be simple shivering thermogenesis which gets predominant in parasympathetic system of lying and rest and digest time which is perfectly normal. Now the flashing light in front of eyes is something worth exam. If every thing alright no worries but seek a psychiatric assistance for that. You need a detailed history and a thorough physical examination.
take care
|
Users who thank Dr Shafi Ullah Khan for this post: dorrityd 

User Profile
replied April 15th, 2014
that's what i figured to myself. wasn't exactly sure but your reply does support it.
|

replied April 16th, 2014
Extremely eHealthy
I am not sure about the flash of light or the sound but it isn't unusual when falling asleep for the sensation of falling to feel so real that the person is jerked very suddenly wide awake with an accompanying violent muscle spasm.

I have experienced this a handful of times and friends have reported similar things. I have even heard a theory that says if something goes wrong and the reflexes don't wake the person they just keep sinking into coma or death.

A friend who had done some research into the subject believed it was a natural function of the body for the heart to slow to a stop periodically and then give a huge lurch and that was the body's method of keeping the pipes clear. I believe those were the findings of Bristol University some twenty years ago during investigations into the effect of using artificial adrenalin to tenderise meat.

Certainly if the spasm was violent enough it would be natural to see a false white flash as it is a fairly typical result of an impact to the head.
In my case I saw what appeared to be shards of broken glass or mirror flying past me.

I don't think any treatment or investigation is needed for a handful of times in 46 years if what I have described resembles what you have experienced.
|
Quick Reply
Must Read
How can you tell if a headache is serious, or not? What types of headaches are there? Get started learning the facts about headache here....
Do you know when to seek help for headache symptoms? Learn more about symptoms of the four different types of headaches...and when to go to a doctor here....
Headaches can be caused by various medical conditions. Learn which tests doctors use to diagnose problem headaches...and who you should see to start diagnosis....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Neurological Disorders , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.