I need to talk to someone. I am just not feeling so great.
I am 14 and my mother has cancer. Our relationship has never been the best "mother - son" relationship" but it seems lately it has gotten worse. I don't know. My mom just recently told me that she is tiered of me wearing her out and she just wants me to emotionally detach from her so that she can relax. When she told me this, I took it kind of hard and now I don't know how I feel.

Just frustrated and down..
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied July 30th, 2010
hi, i'm 17 and i have deppression, so i know how you feel when you say you feel down.
I'm sorry to hear about your mother. i guess it's a case of trying to look through her eyes about the situation. It's difficult, i don't know how bad the cancer is, but if it was a fatal situation, it must be terrible difficult to live each day with a smile for her, deppression makes you feel like no one cares, you don't want to talk to people and you just want to be alone.

'emotionally detach' you say your mother said this to you. perhaps, if she knows she will pass away, she doesn't want it to hurt you, of course it will, but she doesn't want that, and maybe you detaching yourself from her, will in a way make it easier. in her eyes. of course you don't want to emotionally detach yourself, but coming to terms with death is a difficult thing. i am no expert but it seems logical.

so, are you saying you think you may have depression? why not look up some symptoms and take a trip to the doctor. if you have no one to talk to about it, go on your own, or see a school nurse?

your mother is probably quite stressed, anxious, down and pretty upset about the cancer, and i'm sure part of it is trying to work out what's best for you.

i wouldn't take it personally but give her space, try to talk to her about how you feel too to let her know the illness isn't just affecting her.

I hope your mother gets better, and you also feel better soon.

feel free to private message me (:
|
Did you find this post helpful?
Quick Reply
Must Read
Do you know how doctors define clinical depression? Learn more about this brain disorder and types of depression that doctors diagnose here....
Can depression run in families? Can hormones really make you depressed? Yes! Learn more about causes and conditions of clinical depression here....
People with depressive illnesses do not all experience the same symptoms. Do you know the signs and symptoms of depression? Read on to learn more....